• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Showcasing butter for gluten sensitive guest

tammylc

My summer project is to host a little supper club at my house, benefiting various food organizations. For my first dinner, one of my guests has offered to bring some homemade raw milk butter for me to use. However, same guest is gluten free, so all the things I would normally think of to highlight butter - bread, pasta - are off limits.

Any suggestions and how I can make good use of a 1/2 cup of butter?

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

My summer project is to host a little supper club at my house, benefiting various food organizations. For my first dinner, one of my guests has offered to bring some homemade raw milk butter for me to use. However, same guest is gluten free, so all the things I would normally think of to highlight butter - bread, pasta - are off limits.

Any suggestions and how I can make good use of a 1/2 cup of butter?

Why not hot corn bread?

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

How about Rösti, maybe with a bit of smoked salmon from Zingerman's across the top, and a sprig of watercress as a garnish?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

While I think it's basically a truism that butter makes nearly everything better, this is actually a bit of a challenge. You need something that isn't just improved by butter, but that actively highlights it. The usual suspects are out due to the gluten-free requirement, which requires us to get a bit more creative. I would think something potato-based would be ideal: they have a relatively mild flavor of their own and are a near-perfect vehicle for vast amounts of butter.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

radishes?

isn't there something about radishes and butter and salt?

There is - I'd just stumbled across that in the butter thread. That's where I'm leaning right now. Radishes cut in half with butter piped on top and sprinkled with coarse salt. Served as an amuse.

Also thinking about doing the fish course with a tarragon compound butter.

Chris has it right - the trick is to think of something where the butter is the highlight, and doesn't get overwhelmed by other flavors.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Maybe a local bakery could make you a 100% rye bread or crisp that you could do with butter and radishes

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

My Webpage

Aaah I see that it is just too little for a fluffy bread...

proceed on No rye crisps

t

Maxine

My Webpage

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up going with the radish and butter idea. I cut the radishes in half, piped the butter on, and sprinkled them with some pink Murray River sea salt.

gallery_7436_3666_42903.jpg

It worked out really nicely. The butter was delicious, and the guest didn't object to the rest of us putting the excess on bread, so we totally did that. The color of the butter is just amazing.

I'd also planned on using it for a compound butter for the fish course, but the timing didn't work out, so I ended up using some other butter that I had on hand.

Pictures from the rest of the meal are up on my blog.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40