• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green garlic soup

edwardsboi

I've been buying green garlic from farmers markets because I've read and heard so much about this ingredient, especially as a soup, but I haven't really been that blown away by it. Before I write if off, I wanted to give it one more chance and find the tips and hints to make a killer soup. I don't know if its just the recipe I'm using, or if I'm really just blah about the ingredient.

I know Jean-Georges Vongerichten has a famous version of the soup, but I haven't been able to find the recipe in any of his cookbooks. He has a garlic soup in one of his cookbooks, so would I just substitute green garlic for regular garlic? Or, do I need to make some other changes to that recipe?

I've been buying green garlic from farmers markets because I've read and heard so much about this ingredient, especially as a soup, but I haven't really been that blown away by it. Before I write if off, I wanted to give it one more chance and find the tips and hints to make a killer soup. I don't know if its just the recipe I'm using, or if I'm really just blah about the ingredient.

I know Jean-Georges Vongerichten has a famous version of the soup, but I haven't been able to find the recipe in any of his cookbooks. He has a garlic soup in one of his cookbooks, so would I just substitute green garlic for regular garlic? Or, do I need to make some other changes to that recipe?

Are you talking about the garlic tops which are called scapes? If they are scapes, try looking for garlic scape(s) soup.

Edited by ElsieD (log)

A green garlic soup with cream from James Peterson:

(keep scrolling down) http://elmwoodstockfarm.blogspot.com/

A green garlic soup with potatoes from Alice Waters:

Yukon Gold or Yellow Finn potatoes are fine for this soup. http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/recipe_ggsoup.htm

I haven't tried either of these soups. When green garlic shows up in my CSA box, I make Vetou's Asparagus from Kate Hill's A Culinary Journey in Gascony. I've shared this recipe with others, who tell me they love it. Make sure you add the single mint leaf. You can taste it in the final dish.

http://books.google.com/books?id=pTKmngEnH...e+hill#PPA71,M1

I adore this stuff. I use the entire length of it just like a green onion or scallion. It should be really pungent when you buy it. If it is not giving off springtime sharp garlic odors even before you cut into it, then it may not be fresh enough. If you have the heady stuff I see a simple soup with a roux made with the base (whiter part) and the rest added in stages. Even sauteed in butter (I prefer to oil to keep the sweetness) and then finished with water and cream (stock can muddy the flavor) and finely minced green parts- a few croutons ...I am happy. My first and still favorite use (possibly sentimental) is in a fresh salsa with tomato, cilantro, lime and hot peppers, blended well.

• 2 weeks later...
I adore this stuff. I use the entire length of it just like a green onion or scallion. It should be really pungent when you buy it. If it is not giving off springtime sharp garlic odors even before you cut into it, then it may not be fresh enough.

I guess one of the problems is that the instructions were unclear what to do with it. All it said for the green garlic was 'stems trimmed and bulbs quartered'.

So, does that mean I use the bulb itself and the whole length of the stalk, but only after taking off the outer layer of the green stalk? I noticed that the stalks got tougher to the end, and I thought maybe the instructions to trim the green garlic was referring to taking off a inch or two off the top.

I'd read that as 'cut off the tops (but not all of the green) and quarter the bulb part if it's big enough to do so.

I love green or baby garlic, though I've never made a soup. All garlic soups I've had so far die not impress me much, either too much in your face garlic or just a hint which doesn't really make it a garlic soup in my book. I just sautee them or put them on the bbq. If the bubs are small I keep them as is, if they are the size of a small radish I cut them in half.

It's also great in a salad and the smallest ones I just eat as is :-)

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

I know Jean-Georges Vongerichten has a famous version of the soup, but I haven't been able to find the recipe in any of his cookbooks.

This one perhaps?

When I was looking for Vongerichten's version, I looked at the ones available in the library and the book store, including Cooking at Home with a Four Store Chef which that recipe references.

But, in the original recipe in that book, its just simply garlic soup with regular garlic. That other recipe uses that recipe, but substitutes green garlic for the regular garlic and then changes the proportions for other ingredients- their green garlic soup uses 7 cups of garlic chicken stock instead of 6 cups of chicken stock in the original recipe and the green garlic soup uses 3 eggs instead of two eggs. And, it allows 1-2 tablespoon of white wine vinegar instead of just one in the original recipe as well as adding spring chives which wasn't in the original.

Its kind of interesting to see these changes, which I know I wouldn't have thougt of. To me, green garlic is so mild that I would have thought you'd need to increase the garlic amount. Or, that since green garlic is so mild, I'd have thought you'd need to decrease the stock to let the garlic flavor shine throught.

Since I've never tasted Vongerichten's original green garlic soup, I'm curious how close this version tastes to the real thing.

The restaurant is very good about sharing recipes. If you call up and play it cool, you may be able to get it faxed to you.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)