• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods you never eat...

I have this bad habit of choosing not to eat something believing I eat it "all the time" only to realize it's actually been ages since I last ate it.

Like bananas. Every time I'm at the store, I think "I like bananas but I could eat a banana any time, I should pick some more interesting fruit". It wasn't until a couple of months ago that I realized I hadn't actually eaten a banana in over a year and finally bought some. They were delicious and I was a fool for not eating more of them.

Every time I go to a Thai restaurant, I mentally think "I shouldn't order Pad Thai, I have that all the time". Again, it wasn't until a few months ago that I figured out the last time I had Pad Thai was probably 2 or 3 years ago.

Just the other week, I dug out some frozen mince from the back of my freezer and I was trying to figure out what to do with it and meatloaf popped into my head. "Nah, you make that all the time". But hang on, I've probably only made meatloaf 3 or 4 times in my life, and every time, it was delicious. So I made meatloaf with that mince and then I made another one this week because I need to catch up on my meatloaf quota.

Does anyone else find this happening to them? It's pretty annoying but I've gotten better now that I'm aware of it.

PS: I am a guy.

I understand completely. For me it's waffles.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Neat idea for a forum topic!

I too understand....and for me its Tacos. I love them. My husband loves them. My husband loves the nights when I make them....as do I. But I haven't made homemade tacos for, what.....a year I bet.....because I always think "no sense to make tacos, I make those all the time". But I don't!

Funny, I used to make them a lot more, but in the past year I haven't. Come to think of it I cannot believe I haven't heard a complaint recently about this from hubby......I need to remind him how insane we (I) have been....I know he will agree.

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Just the other week, I dug out some frozen mince from the back of my freezer and I was trying to figure out what to do with it and meatloaf popped into my head. "Nah, you make that all the time". But hang on, I've probably only made meatloaf 3 or 4 times in my life, and every time, it was delicious. So I made meatloaf with that mince and then I made another one this week because I need to catch up on my meatloaf quota.

I made meatloaf tonight, almost for this very reason.

For some reason, I thought I didn't like meatloaf, but my fiance requested it, so I went out of my way to do it.

I thought I always had made it, I always hated it whenever I had it, except for a few times that I made it myself and it was great, but it turns out that it's been ages since I made or ate meatloaf.

Tonight's dinner was very, very good. Earlier this week, we had lasagne, which I also think that I always make, and yet I only rarely make, and it was also pretty darned good.

Now, off-topic, matzoh ball soup is something that I only make once in a while, but the last time I made it, it was a Revelation. I'm almost askeered to make it again. :wink:

Japanese food.  Once or twice a month, I suggest that we go out for sushi, and it's usually agreed that "meh, we get that all the time". 

Not in two years....

I've become obsessed with Japanese food, cooked at home, ever since I discovered the Cooking With Dog series on YouTube.com. I'm actually going to buy a takoyaki pan as a result of it, and I'm not ashamed to say that.

And no, I don't know the lady in the videos. Or the dog.

Edited to add a link to Cooking With Dog: Cooking With Dog

Edited by TheFoodTutor (log)

My mom and dad always argue about fried chicken, his favorite meal. She always claims she "just" made it and it's a big pain to messy up the kitchen that much. He, on the other hand, could probably tell you the date and time she last made it, probably his birthday.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

I know exactly what you mean.

The last time I shopped, I considered buying some ribs but "reminded" myself that I fix them "all the time" but when I meandered down the aisle that contains the barbecue sauces, it occurred to me that I haven't prepared ribs since last fall.

I immediately retraced my steps and purchased the ribs.

Incidentally, I do prepare my own barbecue sauce, looking at the display was simply an aide-mémoire.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett