• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amarena Cherries - So Delicious!

EllenC

I recently came across these in a little Italian shop here in town. I took them home.

Most of them got covered in chocolate. The juice was used by blending it with more chocolate and rolled in toasted almonds. Then I tried to stick my head in the jar to lick up every last drop. They are that good.

What I really want to know is how to recreate them myself. I have googled and googled and all I find is that there is a secret recipe. That felt like a challenge right there.

Have you tried these? Can you help me with how to maybe re-create them?

Help me eGullet! You're my only hope. Otherwise I will need to take out a second mortgage on my home.

Thanks,

Ellen

I think step one in recreating them is to find a source for Italian wild cherries. Seriously, I think it is less the secrets of the syrup and preserving than the quality of the cherry, which you can't get in the US.

They are delicious

These are actually the ones I buy - but I just ordered a jar from the other site to compare!

The ones you link to are packed in brandy -- the Amarana Fabbri linked to in the first post are in heavy syrup -- no alcohol. So that's going to make a difference.

I have no idea how to make them, but I love them, too!  I've added them to ice cream, brownies, clafouti...and I have another jar ready to use.  I would love to decipher the recipe as well!

What does the ingredient list say?

What does the ingredient list say?

Sorry it took so long to respond. It stinks when that work thing gets in the way of my real life.

The ingredients are: sugar, wild cherries, glucose syrup, water, wild cherry juice (4%), citric acid, flavourings, colour E 163 (anthocyanins), preservative sulphur dioxide (remainder). Product of Italy.

I started an experiment. I have a jar of dark sweet cherries and I made a syrup from red tart cherry and queen anne cherries that I juiced and mixed with suger. They are macerating. I figure that even if I cant completely duplicate these, I will have fun trying.

My friend just gave me some frozen pie cherries tonight to experiment on. I will use more of the juice to make syrup and start these cherries soaking tomorrow.

Please offer up your ideas. I will keep you informed on how the experiments are going.

Ellen

These cherries are wonderful in cocktails too. You'll never use a maraschino cherry again!

One thing I love to do is put about an inch tall layer of them in the bottom of a bottle of Woodford Reserve bourbon. Let it sit a few days (or more) and it will make the best Manhattan you've ever had. :)