• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Euro conversion help please: Granité

gfron1

okay, thanks. I assume that I can scale it down for smaller amounts?

I  only need 80g of this syrup!

Scaling down will be fine. It keeps reasonable well in the fridge.

Most European recipies for sorbets use Baume.

Until the last 10 years or so, a refractometer was a very expensive piece of equipment, usually only for vitners. The sugar density meter, however is cave-man simple and very cheap to buy. Mineis just a glass tube with a plastic scale in it, with lead shot at the bottom. You drop this tube into a tall thin container of the liquid you want to measure and you read the scale directly at the surface of the liquid.

FYI, background -- degrees Baumé was common for chemicals and industrial products, including in North America, I've seen it on older bottles. Brix is associated more narrowly with things like fruit juices, and gets a lot of US mention among people making wine or growing fruit. (Optical test for Brix is approximate, uses relation of refr. index to specific gravity for sugar solutions, not always an accurate model for fruit juice.) Wiki link below for what it's worth. Certain good older beverages books had handy charts in the back for converting among these and other, even more arcane measures.

Wikipedia on Baumé

I wish they'd just give weight recipes: self-explanatory and unambiguous. (Weight is the true measure of materials. Volume may or may not be well correlated -- like optical behavior of fruit juices.)