• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leftovers that Make You Say "Yes!"

Last week I made a Basque chicken dish which yielded as a byproduct about 3 cups of reduced gelatinous chicken-chorizo stock, which I've saved in the freezer. I don't know what I'll use it for yet, but it was too good to throw away.

My husband's macaroni and cheese reheated on the second day. He always makes enough for two meals and it's even better the second time around. I love the crunchy bits. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Add me to the leftover meatloaf sandwich camp, except I like to fry it first, getting the edges nice and crispy (everything's better with butter, you know). Either ketchup or mayo on that sandwich works well.

If no one else is at home and there are leftover mashed potatoes in the fridge, I reheat them on the stove, adding cheeses I have on hand and maybe sour cream if I have it. I then add a large amount of frozen peas to the mixture, which is something I only eat secretly because it's so trashy.

My Mexican friends adore leftover mashed potatoes. They take a handful, pat it out, put some cheese and rajas (roasted green chile strips) in the center, fold it over and seal the edges to make a fat patty, and then fry it. Unbelievably good.

And you really must have cold, leftover rice to make a proper fried rice.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Leftover Indian food of any description, but at my house it's usually aloo gobi or baingan bartha.

With toast, for breakfast, of course. If I'm really ambitious, I run up a fresh omelette with cilantro and tomato to go alongside.

My mom's pork roast and sauerkraut is one of those leftovers-taste-even-better-the-next-day type dish.

The first night it all tastes great with all of the elements seperate (pork roast, sauerkraut and dumplings) but then she combines everything for easier storage in the fridge and it just elevates it to a higher level of flavor the next day.

Her Navy Bean soup is another that tastes better the next day as leftovers.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

Definitely leftover Indian or Thai food of any description, especially if it's a curry.

Stuffed naan. I'll eat that cold, for breakfast, any day of the week!

Erin

"American by birth, Irish by the grace of God"