• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Signs of the Recession Taking Its Toll...

Chris Amirault

Caviar being replaced on the menu with chicken wings

Vendors putting restaurants on COD

Servers complaining about 10% tips and threatening to finally find "real" jobs

High-end trendy joints closing by the dozen

• 5 weeks later...
Servers complaining about 10% tips and threatening to finally find "real" jobs

its not just FOH. I hear this from many many many kitchen employees. As people that work on hourly pay, many cooks come to accept that your base 40 hour workweek isn't where you make your loot. Its generally accepted that overtime is where the bills get payed. When hourly employees go from making 20+ hours of OT a cheque, to not even hitting 40 hours a week, it causes chaos and major uncertainty.

"Real jobs" with real benefits and a real salary sound a lot more appealing than not knowing how much money you're going to have when payday comes around.

I was reading somewhere this morning that a new survey is showing a % like 71 % are staying where they are, across the board.

It has to hold tru for kitchens.

All I see are adds for servers & bussers.

2317/5000

I got two mailers today from surprisingly upscale establishments. Expensive print job, advertising decent deals, and two establishments I wouldn't expect to see via direct mail.

I'm glad everyone is doing what they can to stay competitive.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm in Texas..Austin to be specific. We havn't felt the recession like the rest of the country. We are, however, feeling the season...and this summer is slower than most. Where is everybody located that you are experiencing this downward economy?

I'm in Providence RI.

Here's a new one, from a place I liked, too: various iterations on "Buy something with alcohol in it now":

"Care to start with a cocktail?"

"The Magic Hat goes very well with that appetizer."

"Glass of wine with your main course?"

"Some brandy to close?"

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts