• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bacon Flavored Vodka!

Special K

Here's a cocktail that I made recently, the "Meat Lover's Martini":

Rim a martini glass with powdered beef bullion, fill with cold bacon vodka and garnish with a strip of buffalo jerky.

Most people at the party hated it, but a few loved it.

This is, needless to say, not a new idea, and in fact there is a thread here on hot dog-infused vodka going back to 2006. I don't think my thoughts on bacon-infused vodka have changed all that much since I wrote this a little over a year ago:

To me, there's something a little amusing but not all that interesting about the typical "duuuuude! have some relish-flavored vermouth with that hotdog-flavored vodka" scenarios.  It's nothing that I'd really want to drink other than as a temporary amusement. . . . Part of the trick, of course, is picking the right spirit into which the fat will be infused.  Vodka is not particularly interesting, in my opinion, and will typically yield a product that doesn't have much potential for serious mixology.

So far there has been one interesting iteration of bacon-infused booze: Don's Benton's Old Fashioned, made with bourbon fat-washed with Benton's bacon fat. Edited by slkinsey (log)

--

For future reference I'm working on a BLT oyster shooter. Benton's bacon fat washed vodka, tomato water, lettuce gel and an oyster. I'll report back when that's perfected...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 6 years later...