• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner Recommendations In/Near Beverly Hills

robyn

We've decided to stay in north America this year - doing some closer to home shorter trips than in previous years. New York later this week. And we just booked eight nights/seven days in Los Angeles in July (first trip there in 9 years). We'll be staying in Beverly Hills (Four Seasons). Doing a lot of day trips all around. I'll start to think about lunches once I figure out where those day trips will be. At this point - I'm looking for dinner suggestions not too far from the hotel. Maybe 7-8 miles max (closer would be better) - and not on any freeways. We'll have a car with a GPS - but I don't relish the thought of driving 20 miles or more round-trip at night.

We'll probably try to do about 3 big deal dinners. A couple of nights at the hotel dining venues as well (a new restaurant is opening there - don't have a clue what it will be like).

Have already decided to try Bazaar (looks like fun). Any other ideas? I was thinking of Ortolan. Hated Spago on our last trip - won't try it again. I like to dine at restaurants with full bars - so Urasawa is out (I like a cocktail before dinner - especially with a $350 meal!). Ideas for smaller deal (but nice) restaurants would be appreciated too. Robyn

• 2 weeks later...

Robyn -- Don't know why RJ hasn't responded. He's usually so good at these things.

Without getting on a freeway, without even leaving BH, there are tons and tons of places and you won't need to touch steak. Within 5-7 miles, anything is possible. To the west is Santa Monica where Michael's is always considered a classic and then there's Melisse. Of course Valentino's is also a classic especially if you don't have to worry about budget and want an amazing wine cellar. A little south of there is Venice where I personally always like Joe's. Not as far west is San Vicente Boulevard in the Brentwood area with any number of Italian places including one of the Drago restaurants. There's another Drago on Wilshire in the West LA/Santa Monica area. Head east in some form or another for any of the great places along Beverly or Melrose (I recently opined about Angeli cafe on a the pizza thread which is probably not in the "upscale" category you are considering but it's great) or La Brea (can never go wrong at Campanile). And we haven't even discussed Koreatown or Culver City.

I probably go for more casual/relaxed than you may be looking for but those are initial thoughts.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Robyn -- Don't know why RJ hasn't responded.  He's usually so good at these things.

But I have responded, JFLinLA. You need to have the secret password (in the form of baked goods) to read my posts. :biggrin::biggrin:

Ortolan is a very good fine dining French restaurant. There's also Sona on La Cienega. There are more "casual" restaurants like Lucques and Campanile.

Along Beverly Blvd., east of the Farmer's Market/Grove, are several restaurants:

Grace, Angelini Osteria, Hatfield's (but they're going to move to Melrose Ave., just across the street from Mozza. I don't know when exactly).

Robyn, you should reconsider Urasawa. Small room (10 covers) and minimal staff. Chef Hiro-san, two assistants and a server/attendant, that's it. Yes, it doesn't have a full bar, but the intimate dining experience is worth it.

As for Providence, I can only speak for myself. Providence is my favorite restaurant in Los Angeles. It is a seafood-based restaurant, so you don't have to worry about steaks, even though they do serve Japanese Wagyu. Full bar with great mixologists/bartenders. Definitely go there.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

And of course Matsuhisa on La Cienega, the one, the "only", the original.

No bar at Matsuhisa, obviously.

Providence, Osteria Mozza, and Sona all have top-notch cocktails, and I have had spectacular meals at each.

Not super-expensive, but very classy, and serving some of the most unique and exciting food in town right now is John Sedlar's new restaurant Rivera downtown. And the cocktail program is excellent.

If you look at the last pages of their menu, there's an entire beverage list, including beer and sake and "Matsuhisa’s exclusive sake cocktail" list. Matsuhisa does have a bar.

Whether a restaurant has a bar or not, that shouldn't deter a diner from going to that restaurant, unless it's a matter of personal preference.

Now, if you want to try a really good new bar, try Copa D'Oro over in Santa Monica. Barmaster and mixologist Vincenzo Marianella is great!

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

If you look at the last pages of their menu, there's an entire beverage list, including beer and sake and "Matsuhisa’s exclusive sake cocktail" list. Matsuhisa does have a bar.

Whether a restaurant has a bar or not, that shouldn't deter a diner from going to that restaurant, unless it's a matter of personal preference.

Now, if you want to try a really good new bar, try Copa D'Oro over in Santa Monica. Barmaster and mixologist Vincenzo Marianella is great!

Uh, okay. I guess I also have a bar in my bedroom, and my office, and sometimes when I'm flying cross-country, but I think most of us have another idea of what a restaurant bar means, usually including a full liquor license, a dedicated bartender or two, and and maybe even a few spirits. FWIW, I have eaten at Matsuhisa dozens of times over more than a decade now, but thanks for the tip!

And yeah, Copa is a good bar. So are the Varnish, Seven Grand, and the Edison. There are also excellent mixologists at the Hungry Cat, Comme Ca, and the new Bottega Louie, all of which you could even go so far as to call restaurants.

I apologize for trying to give some advice in line with the OP's actual request, you know the part that said "I like to dine at restaurants with full bars...." Sorry about that.

Edited by millions (log)