• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2009 – 2014)

Jstern35

Do you replace some of the flour in the recipe with semolina flour or just add the semolina flour and more fluid? Trying to make a chewier rye bread.

I replace equal amounts of flour in the recipe with semolina, anywhere between 1/2 to 1 cup. I usually use coarse semolina, and it often needs a bit more water and some extra kneading. (But I do it all in my Kitchen Aid.)  

By coarse semolina do you mean semolina instead of semolina flour?

I'm not sure about the distinction you're making. I don't buy it packaged, I get it from a neighborhood store that sells it in bulk from barrels. Their fine semolina is floury in texture and is really quite fine, the coarse semolina is not coarse like cornmeal, it is also somewhat floury but less so, and it's a deeper yellow than the fine semolina.

Lovely photos, as always, Ann_T. I like the frame around the chalk drawing with the bread. I'm sure the bread lives up to the photos!

Thanks Smithy.

Today's bread - I have fed both starters and made a biga.  The biga was ready by mid afternoon to go into a batch of dough that will be baked on Wednesday. 

French%20Crusty%20Rolls%20August%204th%2

I also hand mixed a batch of baguette dough, but instead of baguettes I made crusty rolls.

French%20Crusty%20Rolls%20August%204th%2

Host's note: this excellent topic continues here

Edited by Smithy (log)
  • Like 2