• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2009 – 2014)

Jstern35

If your starter is a poolish (the only kind of starter that I use) the yeast, flour, and water mixture bubbles up and forms a slight dome.  I leave mine overnight to a couple days depending on the temperature.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

If your starter is a poolish (the only kind of starter that I use) the yeast, flour, and water mixture bubbles up and forms a slight dome.  I leave mine overnight to a couple days depending on the temperature.

I mean I'm starting one from scratch, 100% hydration, rye flour, never used before. It has nearly doubled in the jar 24 hrs since feeding...is it ready to start leavening dough?

I mean I'm starting one from scratch, 100% hydration, rye flour, never used before. It has nearly doubled in the jar 24 hrs since feeding...is it ready to start leavening dough?

How long ago did you start it? If you started it the day before, no, it's not ready. I'd give it a good week before using it without "helper" yeast added to the bread (not to the starter).

Sourdough starters can look like they're rarin' to go when you first start them, but it is generally not the case. There's a "first flush" of a different microbe than the yeast and bacteria that make up a starter.

I can't remember which site, exactly, I read this on, but it bore up to my own experience. I've read stuff on the following:

http://sourdough.com/

http://www.sourdo.com/

http://www.sourdoughhome.com/

http://www.wildyeastblog.com/

Those are by no means an exhaustive list of sourdough sites, but they all have good info.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

We went to a Spanish tapas and wine bar and had the most incredible jamone flat bread that had a tomato spread, mesculin greens, Jamome serrano and shavings of manchego.The flat bread was beautifully baked oval with a soft, chewy texture.Does anyone have a recipe for this type of flat bread? Is this called Catalan flatbread?Jon

Jose Andries has a recipe for these in his tapas cookbook.

A white flour sourdough starter will be ready when it doubles in volume in 8 hours or less on a 1:1:1 feeding ratio. Typically, this will happen on, or after the 7th day since starting your culture, but most people wait until day 14 to make the first loaf, just to give the culture time to gain more vigor.

Your rye starter should double in less than 8 hours, since whole grain flours (like dark rye) ferment more quickly.

• Like 1

20140721_121624_zps9e405e8a.jpg

The inside of  the  velvet loaf, look at sponge, that bubble was the only big one I had, otherwise perfect!

• Like 2

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

• 2 weeks later...

CatPoet, that bread looks like it would be perfect for a sandwich.

Bread baked over the last ten days.

Sourdough.  Overnight fermentation.

Sourdough%20red%20fife%20wheat%20July%20

Sourdough%20red%20fife%20wheat%20July%20

350 Sourdough Levain, 900 G white with 100 g organic stone ground Red Fife flour and 780 g water.

Picture%20a-XL.jpg

Started July 22nd, and left in the fridge overnight.

Picture%20bb-XL.jpg

Baked on the 23rd.

• Like 4

Ann_T

I am with rotuts on this one. That is indeed a beautiful boule. I need to get back to baking these rugged country breads. Yours always look so amazing.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Ann T: well my breads are  sandwich bread only, it is not made for being fancy but filling my hubby and daughter belly.

I do like that bread, it is a bit expensive compared to the other breads I make but so yummy.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

CatPoet, I'd be happy with a sandwich on your bread. 

Rotus,  Yes, it makes wonderful toast.  I think 90% of the bread I make gets toasted.

Thanks Anna.

Today's bread.

Baguettes%20with%20Red%20Fife%20July%203

I added 100 g of Red Fife to this batch and I have another batch almost ready to go into the fridge for an overnight preferment.

The second batch has a 100 g of stone ground organic Spelt.

I want to bake early tomorrow morning before it gets too hot. We are having a "heat wave" here on the west coast.

Baguettes%20with%20Red%20Fife%20July%203

Edited to add Crumb Shot.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 1

Lovely photos, as always, Ann_T. I like the frame around the chalk drawing with the bread. I'm sure the bread lives up to the photos!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

SHELBY  inspired by you I pulled out my mom's recipe for English muffin bread.  It didn't rise as much as I remembered but then it was a fairly muggy day.  The husband didn't mind and he ate several pieces. 

Going to go out and toast a few pieces then butter and toast dope for breakfast.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

SHELBY  inspired by you I pulled out my mom's recipe for English muffin bread.  It didn't rise as much as I remembered but then it was a fairly muggy day.  The husband didn't mind and he ate several pieces. 

Going to go out and toast a few pieces then butter and toast dope for breakfast.

I bet it was very tasty with that wonderful toast dope!  I am due to make another batch of muffins soon.  

I ran across this recipe just this week: 

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/07/soft-salami-bread-rolls-recipe.html?ref=box_latest

and I'm just waiting for my oat flour to arrive.  I am going to omit the salami, however.

Anyone tried this yet?

I, too, thought that was an interesting recipe!  I can't wait to hear how yours turn out.

I ran across a recipe this week for rolls made with oat flour (along with other flours).

I'm wondering what oat flour brings to the party that the others don't. Anyone know?

Here's the link:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/07/soft-salami-bread-rolls-recipe.html?ref=box_latest

I plan to omit the salami.

Edited by lindag (log)

I saw that post yesterday and just ignored it because the salami turned me off, never even looked at the recipe. But I looked now -- I'm not sure, but I think the oat flour would give it a bit of a chewy texture. I often add 1/2 cup or so of semolina flour to bread dough for that reason, it gives the bread a nice chew. I'm not really sure what oat flour is, and I'm wondering if putting oatmeal in the food processor would give me the same thing as a bag of oat flour.