• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2009 – 2014)

Jstern35

20140627_133301_zps6f1f1d7e.jpg

I made these as I promised some one in another thread. It is minihålkaka

Edited by CatPoet (log)

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Dang - after catching up on this thread after a few years absence, I just ctrl-t'd over to amazon.com to order some new bread pans.

And I'll definitely be resurrecting my challah for next week's family get together!

• Like 1

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

20140627_133301_zps6f1f1d7e.jpg

I made these as I promised some one in another thread. It is minihålkaka

Those look wonderful, CatPoet.  Thanks for posting the recipe and photos; I think I'll have to have a go at them.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I want to make my own sourdough starter, as it seems whole grain and rye breads really benefit from them. I've seen this site: http://tartine-bread.blogspot.com/2013/02/9-days.html - does anyone have any additional advice? I've never made a starter before and never used rye (where for example, does one get "dark rye"?)

I think you would find these two blog posts useful:

http://www.wildyeastblog.com/2007/07/13/raising-a-starter/

and

http://yumarama.com/968/starter-from-scratch-intro/

The author links to two articles written by microbiologist Debra Wink on The Fresh Loaf Forum, they are a very interesting read, and will give you some confidence in starting your culture. I know I found Debra's articles very useful when I began my sourdough journey, and I highly recommend them.

I did not start with rye flour, but with a white bread flour, stone-ground in a 200-year old historic mill. I made my first bread on day 7 after starting my culture, I posted about it on eG then: http://forums.egullet.org/topic/124319-the-bread-topic/?p=1958055

I buy dark rye flour at my local bulk bin store. Oddly, I am having a harder time locating fine rye flour in my area.

Edited by DianaM (log)

Hm. I was under the impression that fine rye flour and dark are milled from different parts of the rye grain, and that they are also completely different to work with (kind of like whole wheat, and white flour - you could not sift whole wheat and obtain white flour, since the whole wheat includes both the germ and the bran, whereas the white has both removed during the milling process).

I will look into this some more. I know by now that you are very familiar with rye flour, and am not questioning your expertise, only reflecting on whether different parts of the world have different milling practices with respect to rye.

Thank you for your response, CatPoet. :)

Edited by DianaM (log)

In Sweden  in the old days, rye was just milled as it was and you the sifted it to get the fine rye.

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Are rye flours typically whole grain, or is that just dark rye flour?

My understanding is that dark rye flour is the whole rye grain ground into flour whereas light rye flour has a percentage of the hull removed.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I just baked a  Sammets limpa, A Velvet loaf,  I done this recipe many times but this time it got weird,  it split, it got stuck to the tray  and the crust is way thicker then normal, but still taste as a velvet loaf should.   Not pretty but edible.

This recipe is old it just says use  1 measurement of  milk and 1 measurement of flour, cook until a thick batter has formed. Use the same measurement  again  and fill with clear   water. Add the water to the batter  and whisk smooth.  Whisk in brewer yeast , salt and  a  little bit of butter. Knead until it soft and silky in texture , may need to add more flour, a good housewife will know when.    Rise to double,  roll into good size loafs,  rise to double and brush with treacle water or coal water and bake until done.

I want to make my own sourdough starter, as it seems whole grain and rye breads really benefit from them. I've seen this site: http://tartine-bread.blogspot.com/2013/02/9-days.html - does anyone have any additional advice? I've never made a starter before and never used rye (where for example, does one get "dark rye"?)

I will mail you a piece of my rye dough starter if you like. I keep my yeast growing in a stiff rye dough starter then use it to make an 80% hydration starter with AP four before I want to bake.  I use Bob's Red Mill Dark Rye flour, readily available at good groceries, for both the starter and baking. For more info on my starter, see my friend and bread mentor's blog post, http://bewitchingkitchen.com/2013/08/09/sourdough-blues

I'm so excited.  I finally got brave and decided to make english muffins.  I could eat every one of them right now.  They turned out really good.  They will be perfect for breakfast sandwiches this winter during hunting season.

Muffins rising in the rings

photo 1.JPG

Out of the oven

photo 2.JPG

Toasted with butter

photo 3.jpg

• Like 6

Shelby,

Those muffins look amazingly good.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh thank you everyone!  (smokinjack--I grew up in Lake City, Colorado--nice to see a fellow mountain person here :) )

I used this recipe from King Arthur Flour

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/baked-english-muffins-recipe

I didn't have any Hi-maize fiber so I added a scant 1/4 cup of flour and I omitted the pizza dough flavoring (ick)

The only tricky part of the recipe was flipping the pans over, but I succeeded without too much turmoil lol.

• Like 1

We went to a Spanish tapas and wine bar and had the most incredible jamone flat bread that had a tomato spread, mesculin greens, Jamome serrano and shavings of manchego.

The flat bread was beautifully baked oval with a soft, chewy texture.

Does anyone have a recipe for this type of flat bread? Is this called Catalan flatbread?

Jon

Oh thank you everyone!  (smokinjack--I grew up in Lake City, Colorado--nice to see a fellow mountain person here :) )

I used this recipe from King Arthur Flour

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/baked-english-muffins-recipe

I didn't have any Hi-maize fiber so I added a scant 1/4 cup of flour and I omitted the pizza dough flavoring (ick)

The only tricky part of the recipe was flipping the pans over, but I succeeded without too much turmoil lol.

Shelby,

Thanks for sharing the recipe and it's great when you have such success on the first go around.

Jon

• Like 1

I put on a large annual BBQ for friends and family on the August long weekend. Some years I've done pretzel buns for the burgers and sausages, and other years I've done brioche buns, and every year I agonize just a little bit too much over the choice.   Has anyone here tried doing a pretzel or a pretzel bun using a brioche dough, or does anyone have any thoughts on how well it might work?  I'm thinking a higher gluten flour or maybe even adding some additional gluten would make the brioche dough a little more sturdy/stable, but I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts.