• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2009 – 2014)

Jstern35

I've searched for a thread dedicated to sourdough but have had no luck.  What am I missing, if anything?

Do you mean sourdough starters?

There's this:  http://forums.egullet.org/topic/85685-sourdough-starter-hows-whys-whats/

...or do you mean breads?...

Back in the age of the eGullet Culinary Institute (eGCI) there was a course, with associated Q&A and topics:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/27634-sourdough-bread/ for the course*

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/27633-qa-sourdough-bread/ for the associated Questions and Answers (Q&A)

Here's a step-by-step tutorial:  http://forums.egullet.org/topic/96092-sourdough-bread-step-bystep-pictorial/

Master Baker James MacGuire also ran a Q&A, with these two links:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/44367-the-perils-and-pleasures-of-sourdough/

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/44304-crusty-sourdough/

Here's a troubleshooting topic, in two parts:

Part 1:   http://forums.egullet.org/topic/97925-sourdough-bread-troubleshooting-part-1/

Part 2:  http://forums.egullet.org/topic/145216-sourdough-bread-troubleshooting-part-2/

Does this help?  There are more sourdough-related topics, but these seem to be good places to start.

* I see some of the links contained in the course are old and broken, but the basic information is good

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Ann_T, those breads are stunning.

Here's my latest, Forkish's overnight 40% whole wheat: 

3 ww.jpg

I'm posting it here because I know that the dutch oven method is common for several other cookbooks and bakers. I've consistently been cooking the bottom too much, so today I tried removing the breads from the ovens at the 45 minute mark, letting them finish for 10+ minutes out of the ovens. Will report back. 

Oh, and, fvandrog, if Forkish can teach me, a baking dumbass, how to make a boule that compares with my local bakery, I assure you he can teach you too! 

• Like 1

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I really like the organic look the boules get when not slashed; each looks different and have their own "personality."

I made a few things recently. A good ol' sandwich loaf, water milk yeast salt.

image.jpg

A sunflower seed bread with pâte fermentée, very flavourful but not as risen as it could have been. I degassed insufficiently during the bulk rise, and did not preheat the oven sufficiently - these are errors I will fix next time. I want to try this as a levain bread, I think it would be great.

image.jpg

And an olive levain, with both white flour and wholegrain spelt. The bread smelled amazing while it baked, and the taste did not disappoint.

image.jpg

• Like 1

DianaM

That white sandwhich loaf is a thing of beauty! It looks quite large. Can you discuss it in a little more detail?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I really like the organic look the boules get when not slashed; each looks different and have their own "personality."

I agree -- though the method also reveals flaws in technique. for example, I didn't evenly fold and shape the boule in the upper left corner, which meant that the crack is off to the side and therefore doesn't allow for a more expansive spring. More work to do! 

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

That white sandwhich loaf is a thing of beauty! It looks quite large. Can you discuss it in a little more detail?

Hi Anna,

It did rise nicely, but I think the angle of view helps a bit too. :)

It is my go-to sandwich bread recipe, my card just says Simple bread. It's a straight dough.

490 g all-purpose unbleached flour (~13% protein)

390 g milk

1 t instant yeast

1 t fine sea salt

I don't add the yeast to the flour, instead dissolve it in the lukewarm milk, then mix everything together. I start kneading in the mixer, but halfway through I take it out and continue kneading by hand. I love handling dough. Bulk ferment for about 2 hours, then I shape it and it goes in a regular sized, buttered loaf pan. First time I made it I thought the amount of dough would be too much for the pan, but as it turned out, it was just right. I let it proof until it is ready, judging with the finger test. Usually I don't bother, but this time I eggwashed and sprinkled with black sesame (mostly so I could justify having spent 5$ on a tiny jar of seeds). I bake it at 375F. It has a lovely soft, even crumb, and it keeps well for a couple of days.

Hi Anna,

It is my go-to sandwich bread recipe, my card just says Simple bread. It's a straight dough.

390 g milk

1 t instant yeast

1 t fine sea salt

I don't add the yeast to the flour, instead dissolve it in the lukewarm milk, then mix everything together. I start kneading in the mixer, but halfway through I take it out and continue kneading by hand. I love handling dough. Bulk ferment for about 2 hours, then I shape it and it goes in a regular sized, buttered loaf pan. First time I made it I thought the amount of dough would be too much for the pan, but as it turned out, it was just right. I let it proof until it is ready, judging with the finger test. Usually I don't bother, but this time I eggwashed and sprinkled with black sesame (mostly so I could justify having spent 5$ on a tiny jar of seeds). I bake it at 375F. It has a lovely soft, even crumb, and it keeps well for a couple of days.

Thank you. I am assuming a regular sized bread pan means a 9x5 loaf pan? Your loaf looks considerably longer.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Thank you. I am assuming a regular sized bread pan means a 9x5 loaf pan? Your loaf looks considerably longer.

Welcome! Yes, it's the standard 9x5.

I do have a slimmer and longer loaf pan - I dug it out from the basement to measure it, it's 11x4. But it's very flimsy, thin-walled, I never tried baking bread in it. I'm not even sure I ever used it, but brought it with me when we crossed the big pond, and I was reluctant to toss it.

Welcome! Yes, it's the standard 9x5.

I do have a slimmer and longer loaf pan - I dug it out from the basement to measure it, it's 11x4. But it's very flimsy, thin-walled, I never tried baking bread in it. I'm not even sure I ever used it, but brought it with me when we crossed the big pond, and I was reluctant to toss it.

image.jpg

Your recipe (adapted as always for the Thermomix and to use dry milk powder) made a lovely soft sandwich bread. Thank you so much.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Diana, Anna, both beautiful sandwich loaves.  Anna, does the colour of your loaf come from the flour or the addition of eggs?

Baked eight loaves yesterday.  The dough was started Wednesday night,  One batch using a sourdough biga and one using a sourdough levain.  Both doughs went into the fridge for an overnight rise.

Sourdough%20April%2010th%2C%202014%202-L

Sourdough%20April%2010th%2C%202014%206-L

One loaf was filled with a whole head of roasted garlic and Balderson white cheddar.

• Like 2

Diana, Anna, both beautiful sandwich loaves.  Anna, does the colour of your loaf come from the flour or the addition of eggs?

Baked eight loaves yesterday.  The dough was started Wednesday night,  One batch using a sourdough biga and one using a sourdough levain.  Both doughs went into the fridge for an overnight rise.

Sourdough%20April%2010th%2C%202014%202-L

Sourdough%20April%2010th%2C%202014%206-L

One loaf was filled with a whole head of roasted garlic and Balderson white cheddar.

Is there any difference between the biga and the levain besides hydration?  Does it have much affect of the final product other than the overall hydration of the dough?  I've always been confused on the difference.

I made an experiment with durum flour, in this bread it was about 70% of the total flour in the formula, the rest was our (Canadian) strong all-purpose white flour. Despite its low gluten, the bread has a nice crumb, better than expected (I expected a brick :)). BUT I had to ferment it for ages, and because of that, the flavour is pretty sour, more so than I usually prefer. The shaped batards split during rising, and were looking so sad that I wanted to bin them, but changed my mind and baked them anyways. I am glad I did.

The bread ages gracefully, however, and is quite good toasted.

Oh, and if anyone knows of a source for Semola di grano duro rimacinata (durum semolina, re-milled into a fine flour), I would love to try it as well.

image.jpg

Oh, and if anyone knows of a source for Semola di grano duro rimacinata (durum semolina, re-milled into a fine flour), I would love to try it as well.

I'll bet Nardini's in Stoney Creek would have it.

Hi Anna,

390 g milk

1 t instant yeast

1 t fine sea salt

Just wanted you to know that the family gave your bread two thumbs up. Asked me to replace my usual recipe with this one!

My 2004 eG Blog

I purchased the Brod & Taylor bread proofing box from King Arthur Flour to use with my sourdough loaves. I imagine it will be particularly useful in cold weather.

Is there any difference between the biga and the levain besides hydration?  Does it have much affect of the final product other than the overall hydration of the dough?  I've always been confused on the difference.

Tyler, I did not notice a difference in the finished loaves.

Blether, that's a beautiful loaf. Whose recipe, or which cookbook, is it from?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown