• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2009 – 2014)

Jstern35

Keychris, your baguettes look perfect. I like your slashes.

Sourdough Bagels.

Sourdough%20Bagels%20February%2010th%2C%

Made both a sourdough biga and a sourdough levain. Both had more than doubled by mid afternoon. The biga went into dough for bagels and the levain into a batch of bread dough. Baked the bagels and the bread dough is in the fridge and will be baked tomorrow or Wednesday.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 1

Sourdough Bread. Dough was made on Monday, with a sourdough Levain and refrigerated until this morning.

Sourdough%20Bread%20February%2012th%2C%2

Baked two loaves.

Both in Cast Iron Pots (Ken Forkish's method) one with parchment one with out.

I wanted to see if there was any difference in the bottom crusts. There wasn't. I did notice though that the loaf without the parchment was rounder. The parchment where it folded caused the other loaf to have a couple of indentations.

• Like 1

Ann - I use just a little sling of parchment - probably about 8 inches wide. It doesn't seem to bunch at all so didn't change the shape of the loaf - just got it in there safely.

keychris,

Your soft wrap bread looks really good. I may need to take this recipe for a spin! Thanks for sharing.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Keychris, looks like flour tortillas. I like the idea of a yeast wrap.

Baguettes%20February%2013rd%2C%202014%20

I made a double batch of dough (85% hydration). Baked a couple of rustic baguettes and the rest went into the fridge overnight destined for pizza.

Baguettes%20February%2013rd%2C%202014-L.

I started the bread late, and the last baguette came out of the oven after 10:00 PM. Broke off a piece for a bed time snack for Moe.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 2

I decided to revisit a Reinhart brioche recipe, and I made the variation with the highest butter to flour ratio. It is outstanding! Excellent texture, so tender, and a rich buttery flavor that we could not have enough of.

image.jpg

• Like 4

Wow. the sourdough Chocolate Babkas are talking to me

they way Yum Yum

would you consider offering the Rx ?

would this SD prep do well with apples ? sort of a sourdough apple crumb cake/bread ?

many many thanks for all your contributions.

having done some woodworking in my day w N.E. figured wood:

love you 'boards'

Soooooooooooo sorry so little BirdsEye

:raz:

( its a joke :wink: )

• 2 weeks later...

Just having some fun with dough.

I needed some baguette for my smoked salmon. I found an old (many years old) packet of wine making yeast. So that's what I used.

I felt that a baguette should be long, at least 24" long. I understand sometimes they can be almost 40" long. So I made one that is 27.5" long. It was very good.

Then I used the same dough to make a pizza, a white clam sauce pizza, not bad at all.

A few days ago, I was careless and burned the roof of my mouth. I wanted some bread, but the crust of bread would hurt my mouth. So I made a steamed bread with some leftover spinach smoothie. I think I will make this again sometime.

dcarch

Longbaguette2.jpg

Baguetteb3.jpg

Longbaguettesmokedsalmon.jpg

whiteclampizza2.jpg

steamedbread2.jpg

steamedbread.jpg

So I made a steamed bread with some leftover spinach smoothie. I think I will make this again sometime.

I am intrigued by the steamed bread. Would you please share your recipe and method?

image.jpg

Brazilian cheese bread. Pao de Queijo.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I am intrigued by the steamed bread. Would you please share your recipe and method?

Actually I found out there are many cultures where steamed bread is normal.

There is no recipes really for steaming bread. You can steam any bread recipes. As a matter of fact, I think all bread inside are nothing more than steamed, only the outside is baked.

Steaming has it's benefits. You cannot over steam, whereas you can over bake.

You save energy by steaming. No heating up a large oven.

You can steam a very small bread. 

dcarch

• Like 1