• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2009 – 2014)

Jstern35

image.jpg

European-style hearth bread. No idea why it is called that!

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Originally made by sitting the dough beside the fire? Looks good, Anna.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Originally made by sitting the dough beside the fire? Looks good, Anna.

Thank you. I don't mean to brag but this was the BEST bread I have ever made (for its stye). It's wonderfully light with a crisp but not tough crust. Four tasters were ecstatic over it and I didn't use any fancy flour as called for in the original recipe.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

I currently only make "Home Made (Machine) Bread"

1/3d white whole wheat. 2/3 all purpose white ( KA ) this :

BMBread.jpg

its 7 " x 5 " x 6 " high.

not so pretty to look at. it makes great toast if you cut the crust off, which gets pretty hard in the

toaster oven. thick cut like this:

Breakfast 2.jpg

it has good texture ( not the crust ) takes all of 3 min. to the 'start' button and is better than anything I

can buy.

hope to move to some focaccia this fall once my oven gets repaired:

amazon part: 14 $$ repairman to put it in: 150 $ +

will start with

Franci's

delicious looking focaccia from a few months ago.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Double batch of the Ideas In Food Olive Bread. Decided not to go with the optional suggestion of using half whole wheat flour. I used all white flour and replaced ~1/2 cup of that with potato flour. Dough rising nicely. Back later with the results...

olivedough.JPG

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

One last shot and I'll give it a rest. Haven't made bread just for the fun of it in a long time.

olivebread2.JPG

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

One last shot and I'll give it a rest. Haven't made bread just for the fun of it in a long time.

It looks fabulous!
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

It looks fabulous!

It's tasty. I had softened butter and coarse salt at the ready when I cut the bread and decided it was just fine without them.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Remember this hunt for celery bread as served at the Erie Beach Hotel?

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/145272-making-memories-in-manitoulin-at-it-again/?p=1926517

image.jpg

Voila!

Kerry had a student yesterday who came via Port Dover and stopped at the market to grab 4 pieces of this famous stuff. This morning I tossed it into a dry cast iron pan, browned it in all four sides and we each enjoyed a piece while dissecting it. It is a plain, fluffy, white bread (think Wonderbread), crust sliced off and bread cut into large doorsteps. It is then brushed with melted butter (we think) mixed with celery seed. The photo was taken by my daughter who excitedly ran home with the last two, browned them and then tormented me with the photo.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Minas6907, Wow, beautiful baguettes.

Tri2Cook, I agree with Anna. Love olive bread.

I started a 12 cup batch of bread dough on Monday, with the addition of a biga.

Baguettes%20November%2011th%2C%202013%20

Baked three baguettes on Monday, and used another 1/3 of the dough today

Baguettes%20and%20Pain%20d%27epi%20Novem

for two more baguettes and a black olive pain d' epi.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

After a little over 8 years, my levain is still holding up great!! I was bored yesterday and my kids wanted to make something with me. So we decided cranberry/walnut sourdough. Although as a common mistake what I do at home, I forgot to lower the oven temperature midway through. The kids love it regardless.

IMG_1052.JPG

IMG_1053.JPG

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

image.jpg

Shiitake flat bread from Bon Appetit/Wired. Uses 1/4 cup of powdered shiitake mushrooms. Touted as a huge umami blast but failed to deliver in my opinion. Makes an interesting base for a faux pizza.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Steve, I like your Christmas tradition. It has been awhile since I baked croissants.

Baked bread yesterday using the "Flour Water Salt Yeast - The Saturday White Bread" recipe.

The recipe makes two large round loaves.

The%20Saturday%20White%20Bread%20January

Sliced%20January%206th%2C%202014-XL.jpg

Wow, Ann_T. That's bread to die for! I am jealous as hell.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Ann_T great looking bread and pizza. I've started making bread after a lay off of many years. A nice loaf cost about $6-$7 so I thought I'll make bread and upgrade my beer. This loaf is Pan Bigio from Carol Fields book made with a starter and 2:1 ratio of bread flour to whole wheat. It makes great toast.

Anna_N beautiful ciabatta. I'll try that later in the week or the coccodrillo variation posted by Jon.

P1020479(1).JPG

• Like 4

Steve, those loaves look great! I have dough rising for Ken Forkish' Saturday Bread. Hope the finished loaf is worthy of posting here.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog