• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Conca D'Oro closed! Where's great espresso now?

Ike

ARRGH! My coffee-crazed relatives, whenever visiting, always loved going to Caffe Conca D'Oro, an old-school Italian espresso and cappuccino joint here in Newark. Now it is shuttered. NOW where do they go for espresso if they don't want to go all the way into Manhattan?

I guess this means the last remnants of the old Italian neighborhood on Bloomfield Ave. in Newark are kaput.

They tried Moon Doggie in Maywood and thought it was OK but nothing special. It's better than Starbucks at least, but then radioactive sewer slime is better than Starbucks.

(Conca D'Oro's gelato looked great, too. I always wanted to try it and never got around to it -- duh. It was authentic, made without milk. I feel dumb.)

There is a chain called Rockin' Joe's with stores in Westfield, Cranford, Caldwell and Millburn to my knowledge. It's a coffee shop with desserts and a lunch menu. We enjoy it. I am not a big fan of Starbucks, I find the coffee to be bitter and there is little choice for food.