• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoked red bell peppers

Andrew Fenton

Whenever I get done smoking some meat, I like to throw a few red bell peppers or a couple of eggplants into the smoker. The vegetables take advantage of the residual heat and smoke, and since they're not especially temperature-sensitive, I can just leave them in there without paying too much attention to them. Some nice smoky vegetables are a great payoff. Smoked eggplant goes into baba ganoush or baigan bartha, and smoked peppers are terrific on a turkey sandwich.

This time, I got a great deal and bought six or seven red bell peppers, which have just come out of the smoker. I don't think I'll be eating a lot of turkey sandwiches this week, though. So what are some good recipes that use smoked peppers?

Although the soup and cream cheese ideas sound terrific, I must say that every time we smoke some olive oil-basted peppers on the grill, we just serve them as a vegetable side dish as is.

Not only are there never any left, there are rarely even enough to satisfy everyone.

So worrying about what to do with the leftovers is a new concept for me.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I imagine they are delicious with just garlicky olive oil, room temp as a side. And why not try a babaganoush-like dip with blended smoked peppers instead of eggplant? They might make a great pureed soup too.

Couldn't they be used in any recipe that calls for roasted red peppers? I make a simple rice salad that calls for Spanish canned tuna or bonito (or I use leftover fresh grilled), white rice, red onion, roasted red peppers, olive oil and sherry vinegar and a shake of sweet smoked paprika. The peppers and tuna are a really nice combo.

A salad of green beans, roasted red peppers, & sauteed mushrooms. Cook 1 lb green beans in boiling salted water until they are crisp-tender; drain well and let cool. Slice 1/4 lb mushrooms & saute in a little olive oil with a pinch of salt; set aside. Peel & seed 2 roasted peppers & cut into strips; set aside. Make a vinaigrette of 1 minced shallot, 2 TB red wine vinegar, 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, S & P; maybe a pinch of sugar to round off acidity. A handful of toasted hazelnuts, skins removed & chopped, would be great if you have them. Combine the peppers & mushrooms with the vinaigrette in a large bowl, & let marinate for a few minutes. Just before serving, add in the nuts & green beans. Toss well. Taste & adjust for seasoning, especially for enough salt (legumes like green beans often need more salt). Serve immediately. My adaptation of a recipe from chef Kelsie Kerr.

Melt a little of your favourite cheese crumbled over them, and maybe some basil? Wrap them around teeny marinated Mozz balls and have them cold? Save by and add to your next chii?

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

I honestly think they're best as is - on an antipasti tray, with crackers, cheese, charcuterie, etc.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 5 years later...

Hi!

I love making fermented hot sauces from peppers grown in my garden.

I've got a bunch of smoked bell peppers left over, and was considering saucing them, too.

Has anybody ever made a sweet pepper sauce?  Sweet as in "not hot peppers" kind of sauce?

Thanks!

-Johntodd

I ferment sweet peppers all the time -in season-  for various condiments.

Lipstick is a favorite.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!