• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Light "Fried" Coating for Pork/Chicken

zaskar

Does anyone has a suggestion for a light fried "batter"?

My wife had one at a Chinese restaurant in New Orleans when she used to live there.

She said it was very light, it was a sweet and sour sauce (not the American style with ketchup and food coloring) with the pork lightly coated with a crust.

I was thinking maybe it was egg whites with maybe cornstarch, no egg or flour.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

When I make fried pork or chicken, I just coat it with cornstarch only, and it comes out very crispy. No egg, no egg white, or anything else. Just make sure you shake off all the excess before putting it in the oil.

(I usually just pan fry when I made those kinds of things, so I don't use much oil, etiher).

I wonder if the pork was prepared in the velveting fashion: the protein is coated with a mixture of egg white and cornstarch and then quickly fried.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

I wonder if the pork was prepared in the velveting fashion: the protein is coated with a mixture of egg white and cornstarch and then quickly fried.

Iwas thinking that. Although depending on who you talk to sometimes velveting is like planching or poaching.

Iwas thinking that. Although depending on who you talk to sometimes velveting is like planching or poaching.

blanching not planching ;)