• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Memorial Day 2009: Whatcha Makin'?

Chris Hennes

Memorial Day weekend is upon us here in the US, and for many I suspect that means the grill is getting fired up. I'm having some friends over tomorrow, so I've got a pork shoulder in the smoker right now, plus doing some French potato salad and cole slaw. I haven't decided on dessert yet: probably something cold that can be prepped in advance.

So, what are you making? Got any dessert ideas for me?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

have to work tomorrow but then have sunday and monday off. it's supposed to be nice with the possibilities of thunderstorms each afternoon here in nw nj. a late spring here so not much fresh. unless the johnnybird gets the grill fixed there will be no grilling around here... :angry:

just hard boiled some eggs for stuffed eggs and some egg salad for himself's lunch tomorrow. did barefoot contessa's baked shrimp for shrimp cocktail and have some cantaloupe to wrap with prosciutto. i'm thinking fried chicken and some nice salads and see if our neighbor and my friend want to stop by.

chris, is there fresh rhubarb? how about a rhubarb and raspberry pie? the current Cooking Light has one i'm thinking about trying... and most of all remember why we have this holiday at all.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I know it's hokey, but an ambrosia salad sorta marks summer picnics and gatherings for me.

Chris, if you have the grill going, how about grilling some pineapple? Even cold, grilled pineapple is like candy. Or maybe grilled peaches, glazed with brown sugar, lemon juice, and balsamic vinegar.

I'm guessing that we'll be grilling. Probably grilled chicken legs and split breasts, sauced with bbq at the end. Man, am I bored of that. Maybe I'll try to get a nice piece of steelhead, or whole rainbow trout to grill.

I've been jonesin' for crustacea, so if I can make it to the store, boiled lobsters and butter fried soft shell crabs will be on the menu, maybe Sunday.

If nothing else, I really want to try squid on my searing burner. Just a minute or less per side, then served with sweet chili sauce and fresh cilantro on a bed of iceberg lettuce.

I'm getting hungry.

Got any dessert ideas for me?

Key Lime Pie, Rhubarb/Strawberry Crisp, Raspberry or Strawberry Fool, Homemade ice cream, Grilled Pound Cake with fresh fruit or fruit sauce or compote with whipped cream or ice cream...

I made a lemon pudding the other day from Lori Longbotham's "Luscious Lemon Desserts," and it was fantastic - very lemony, rich and creamy.

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

We got a new grill that's pretty cool. I't a Chargriller Duo and is gas on one side, charcol on the other. We're going to try some spareribs on the charcoal side. DH has requested baked beans and I want to make my favorite field pea/corn salad. Blackberries are buy-one-get-one, so I'll probably make a cobbler.

Got any dessert ideas for me?

Last summer, I made a shortcake using blueberries and a combination of whipped cream with lemon curd folded in. You couldn't do the whipped cream way in advance, but it holds pretty well for a couple of hours.

what about papaya with a chilli caramel and vanilla icecream, really simple but deliciuous and not too filling after a good old bbq

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

I did a batch of kalbi, grilled Korean short ribs. Thank you Octaveman for posting the wonderful pics and recipe. I used regular cut short ribs and did a roll cut to butterfly the meat leaving the bone attached. The 2 day prep with the 7up soak the first day and the regular kalbi marinade the second day made these the most tender kalbi I've ever done. I took some of the marinade and reduced it by half as a sauce to top the meat and rice with.

I did a batch of kalbi, grilled Korean short ribs.  Thank you Octaveman for posting the wonderful pics and recipe.  I used regular cut short ribs and did a roll cut to butterfly the meat leaving the bone attached.  The 2 day prep with the 7up soak the first day and the regular kalbi marinade the second day made these the most tender kalbi I've ever done.  I took some of the marinade and reduced it by half as a sauce to top the meat and rice with.

Can you tell me where the recipe is? Thanks!

I did a batch of kalbi, grilled Korean short ribs.  Thank you Octaveman for posting the wonderful pics and recipe.  I used regular cut short ribs and did a roll cut to butterfly the meat leaving the bone attached.   The 2 day prep with the 7up soak the first day and the regular kalbi marinade the second day made these the most tender kalbi I've ever done.  I took some of the marinade and reduced it by half as a sauce to top the meat and rice with.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...dpost&p=1669405

I did a batch of kalbi, grilled Korean short ribs.  Thank you Octaveman for posting the wonderful pics and recipe.  I used regular cut short ribs and did a roll cut to butterfly the meat leaving the bone attached.   The 2 day prep with the 7up soak the first day and the regular kalbi marinade the second day made these the most tender kalbi I've ever done.  I took some of the marinade and reduced it by half as a sauce to top the meat and rice with.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...dpost&p=1669405

Thanks for that. They sure look good.

We did hot dogs, brats, and homemade hamburgers with potato salad, gussied up baked beans and fresh white corn on the cob (some boiled, some grilled).

For dessert it was Clara's Brownies (aka Texas Brownies) and homemade chocolate ice cream (which everyone seemed to enjoy...they came back for seconds).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver