• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shank's Moving On Uptown

Heading south on 15th, between Chestnut and Sansom, I saw a sign announcing the coming of the "Original Shank's," opening up in the small space that is part of the parking garage on the NW corner of 15th and Sansom.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

They'll be seeing a lot of me, since I'll be so close by at OH. Looking forward to having lunch there at least once a week....

Mmmmmmm....Chicken Cutlet sammies with garlicky greens... :drool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

They'll be seeing a lot of me, since I'll be so close by at OH.  Looking forward to having lunch there at least once a week....

Mmmmmmm....Chicken Cutlet sammies with garlicky greens... :drool:

We got Katie!

Shank's will be busy, you can only do 5 guy's three times a week.

"..French Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Deluxe, even Caramel sundaes is getting touched.." Ice Cream

Greg, I so wish you hadn't reminded me that 5 Guys is right around the corner too. What a lousy time to be starting a diet... :angry:

I think we need to start a new born again OH thread. Greg - wanna post a preliminary menu and I'll post my Philly Mag interview about the bar?

Thanks for the vote of confidence Matt! I know I'll be seeing you with some frequency... :smile:

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Greg, I so wish you hadn't reminded me that 5 Guys is right around the corner too.  What a lousy time to be starting a diet... :angry:

I think we need to start a new born again OH thread.  Greg - wanna post a preliminary menu and I'll post my Philly Mag interview about the bar?

Thanks for the vote of confidence Matt!  I know I'll be seeing you with some frequency... :smile:

Menu will be up soon, just a few tweaks.

"..French Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Deluxe, even Caramel sundaes is getting touched.." Ice Cream

• 2 months later...

May Shank's Uptown live long and prosper.

Not just the menu, which is perfect. The staff is South Philly through and through. Tough, funny, warm, and pros. A shot of authentic Philadelphia that Center City has mostly lacked for years.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

My first Roast Pork w/Broccoli Rabe and Sharp Provolone for lunch yesterday. To quote David Byrne, "Same as it ever was..." :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Fair warning. I went back today around 2:30. There were only a couple of loaves of bread left. Despite their posted hours, when Shank's runs out of bread, the curtain drops.

Ate my way through a great sweet sausage, onion and pepper sandwich.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

• 2 weeks later...

Went to grab lunch today. The woman who took my order mentioned that they might be opening on weekends in the Fall. I guess there are plans, but nothing solid yet.

The chicken culet sandwich lifted me right out of my work stupor. Although, having finished the entire sandwich, now I'm fighting lunch coma.

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

Also grabbed a quick lunch at Shank's today, a chicken cutlet Italiano, as good as it ever was, which means it was great.

Edited by Rich Pawlak (log)

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"