• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Robot Coupe Blixer for ganache

Chocolot

I think it was just sloppy production and they didn't make it very clear. There's no guarantee that the unmelted bits they mentioned won't melt out completely long before the chocolate cools to around 30-32C, which would mean the chocolate could end up untempered. So to be safe you'd have to do a visual check on it once it reaches the right temp, and add additional seed chocolate if necessary.

Jeffrey Stern

www.jeffreygstern.com

http://bit.ly/cKwUL4

http://destination-ecuador.net

cocoapodman at gmail dot com

The thermomix importer here has agreed to give members of our local forum a workshop using the thermomix for various reasons including chocolate, ganache and mouses etc. Apparently most of these reps around the world are happy to arrange demos-even privately in your home. Perhaps we can do this at the next egullet conference or some of you can get together and do it.

13 min online video

Edited by Lior (log)

I've done more research on the Thermomix and am seriously considering it. I have emailed a few chocolatiers who made comments on the UK Thermomix site. I have also contaced Thermomix Canada and the dealers from the video you linked Ilana.

I figure I can scale down my ganache recipes to fit the Thermomix if it's that good!

I'll keep everyone posted on any pertinent info I get.

I think it was just sloppy production and they didn't make it very clear. There's no guarantee that the unmelted bits they mentioned won't melt out completely long before the chocolate cools to around 30-32C, which would mean the chocolate could end up untempered. So to be safe you'd have to do a visual check on it once it reaches the right temp, and add additional seed chocolate if necessary.

Maybe you start with a known room temperature, known humidity, known starting temperature of the machine, and a known batch of chocolate. You assume if the machine is calibrated, the heating profile will be pretty much the same.

In other words, maybe if you use the same starting conditions and same procedure, it works out the same every time.

I've done more research on the Thermomix and am seriously considering it.  I have emailed a few chocolatiers who made comments on the UK Thermomix site.  I have also contaced Thermomix Canada and the dealers from the video you linked Ilana. 

I figure I can scale down my ganache recipes to fit the Thermomix if it's that good! 

I'll keep everyone posted on any pertinent info I get.

One of the UK chocolatiers got back to me and had this to say:

"The thermomix is excellent for making batches of ganaches. You can weigh (in the machine jug) the liquids (cream, etc) and bring them to the boil whilst in 'stir' mode. You might infuse vanilla or other flavours at a lower temp first. Then add chocolate and emulsify the ganache in seconds before adding more ingredients such as flavour oils. Once the mix is decanted the machine then 'self cleans' in a matter of a few minutes whilst you prepare the ingredients for the next batch. We've used 2 machines daily for 6 years and only once has one had to be serviced. They're excellent!"

For tempering in the Thermomix - I think they put it at 50C somewhat arbitrarily. Having just come back from a Wybauw course I can tell you he is not at all attached to the temp. on the dial! He did not want us using thermometers when tempering. He told us to disregard the dial and watch the light on the Mol d'Art.

I think what they were trying to achieve in the Thermomix was what some people do in the microwave... melt out most but not all crystals. The lowest temp. on a Thermomix is 37C - too warm to keep chocolate in temper. I don't know if the Thermomix is a very useful machine for tempering... But for making ganache - that's another story...

I received an email from another UK chocolatier. This is what he had to say:

"in my opinion a thermomix would be invaluble to your chocolate production i make approx 1.5 ltrs of ganache which will fill 10 trays of chocolates at a time it will grind nuts with no effort ,we also use the mixer for blending chocolate and other ingredients for the ice cream,having only used a robo coup in catering i cant comment on it in chocolate production,hope this will help you in your decision..."

Lana-thank you SO MUCH!

what is this about the light on the melter? How does it help you?

If your chocolate is in temper and the light (which means the heat source is on) is coming on too much there is the risk you will melt out too many crystals - therefore turn down the dial. Conversely, if your chocolate is overcrystallized, it's OK to turn up the dial (doesn't really matter to what temp. - just turn up so that light stays on) to melt out some crystals. Just be sure to monitor the chocolate and adjust the dial (temp.) when necessary.

• 1 month later...

Well as I previously mentioned, our local chocolate forum spent the evening together at the thermomix demo. One of the members hosted it in her home. There were 21 forum members and most brought some samples of their chocolate. Some members make chocolate as a hobby. One member, Jo from Holycacao chocolate, is our country's one and only bean to bar guy and he also attended. He brought tastes of his chocolate as well as beans and nibs. We did a quick making chocolate session with the thermomix. It ground the pre roasted nibs that Jo brought to a liquor in a few seconds and I tempered a bit. It was grainy, but it was chocolate and very fascinating for the group. We also made pistachio marzipan and hazelnut paste in the thermomixer. It was as smooth as could be! We also made lemon sorbet. It was an very interesting evening and the machine is small but quite amazing. Unfortunately it is also expensive!

Some of the chocolates

gallery_53591_4944_84219.jpg

from left to right: macadamia praline in a dark ganache, Halvah, Irish cream, unidentified, banana split and passion fruit

gallery_53591_4944_75659.jpg

Left to right: Masala Chai, unidentified, ginger

gallery_53591_4944_68039.jpg

from left to right: Tonka, Almonds in a spicy caramel

mine-

gallery_53591_4944_58404.jpg

two layers of gianduja, dark and milk infused with violet

gallery_53591_4944_120496.jpg

left to right: dipping a cashew into the liquor, Jo Zander in green

gallery_53591_4944_11996.jpg

left to right: the thermomix, pouring the liquor out, inside the thermo

Wow, that sounded like a great evening! So fun! I've decided to buy a Thermomix. I'm just get settled from my move and I'm off to Callebaut in Mtl. for the advanced/expert courses. When I get back I'm setting up my new chocolate space and buying some new chocolate making goodies - including the Thermomix! Can't wait...

Thanks for the info of what it can do with chocolate making. That's very cool. I'll have to try that.

Wow, that sounded like a great evening!  So fun!  I've decided to buy a Thermomix.  I'm just get settled from my move and I'm off to Callebaut in Mtl. for the advanced/expert courses.  When I get back I'm setting up my new chocolate space and buying some new chocolate making goodies - including the Thermomix!  Can't wait...

Thanks for the info of what it can do with chocolate making.  That's very cool.  I'll have to try that.

I just came across this thread. The thermomix sounds very interesting. Keep us updated on how it turns out for making ganache

Luis

Fascinating thread.

What was that strange looking 'spatula/scraper' thing that the Callebaut gentleman was using in the Thermomix video demo?

Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 3 weeks later...