• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sourcing Microgreens and Sprouts

DutchMuse

• 3 weeks later...

If you have some patience and a sunny spot, you can easily grow micro greens. Micro Veg is a bit more complicated but I just recently started growing greens in plastic tubs on my deck. I'm at the point where I am making my own mixes and really enjoying it.

It only takes about 1 1/2 weeks to harvest and its infinitely cheaper than getting them shipped. If you have any questions just let me know and I'll walk you through it.

DSC_0900.JPG

My food and ideas CookDiegoCook

I agree with mexigaf. I grow mine in flats on the back porch and harvest with scissors when I am ready.

All you need is seed starting mix, a flat, water, sun and seed. Keep the soil moist but not wet, and the greens are ready to go in anywhere from days to a couple of weeks. Much cheaper.

Micro veg? I would probably just purchase.

• 4 months later...
  • 12 years later...
1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I just checked online. 250g Pea Shoots = $1.44 USD

1805224691__20221008204115.thumb.jpg.6678a4624451cd0ca208dfa7b81c3cc7.jpg

that's hilarious...  not only is it ridiculously cheap, our pea shoots are typically much older and sometimes a little tough - they're more like pea stems than pea shoots.

I was not for even a minute thinking that I would be able to find pea shoots where I order my groceries. But lo and behold. I can get a whole 50g for a mere $3.49 Canadian (reduced!). 
But I have never found it useful to compare the cost of the raw materials vs.  the price I am going to pay to eat those same materials in a restaurant.  And when that restaurant is in New York City the disparity is bound to boggle the mind.F37FD151-D0EE-48B4-9ADF-E6C4AF4252FA.thumb.jpeg.5a0f6f8ebe309078521e250f3d383501.jpegl

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

45 minutes ago, KennethT said:

that's hilarious...  not only is it ridiculously cheap, our pea shoots are typically much older and sometimes a little tough - they're more like pea stems than pea shoots.

We get those, too. But the young ones more often.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I was not for even a minute thinking that I would be able to find pea shoots where I order my groceries. But lo and behold. I can get a whole 50g for a mere $3.49 Canadian (reduced!). 
But I have never found it useful to compare the cost of the raw materials vs.  the price I am going to pay to eat those same materials in a restaurant.  And when that restaurant is in New York City the disparity is bound to boggle the mind.F37FD151-D0EE-48B4-9ADF-E6C4AF4252FA.thumb.jpeg.5a0f6f8ebe309078521e250f3d383501.jpegl

And here, via Fresh Direct for instance...

Brooklyn GrangePea Shoots

approx. 2oz

$4.99/ea
2 for $7
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I grow pea shoots and micro greens year round, in rotation, in my pantry on a 9inch wide x 30inch shelf. Since 2015-ish. First hand knowledge on the cost to grow. Four varieties of peas. Some varieties do get leggy and woody depending on variety. Just 24 hours can make a difference. A good farmer will catch that and harvest properly. These were started the same day but the one on the left is leggy and I just taste and cut only the tender. One third of the tops usually. The pups get the lower stems minced in their food. 

A four/six ounce harvested bag costs me about 50cents. Round up to one dollar and that is 20 bags for 20 bucks. 

I do buy bulk but just one pound bags of seed. A farmer buys 50 pounds+. And has overhead costs. I'm just pantry farm to table in 5-7 days. About twenty minutes of my time. 

If I harvest properly, pea shoot stems are tender. Purple stemmed RedRambo radish stems are always tender and spicy. 

1716130063_ScreenShot2022-10-08at9_44_26AM.png

1516473932_ScreenShot2022-10-08at9_40_43AM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Annie_H said:

I grow pea shoots and micro greens year round, in rotation, in my pantry on a 9inch wide x 30inch shelf. Since 2015-ish. First hand knowledge on the cost to grow. Four varieties of peas. Some varieties do get leggy and woody depending on variety. Just 24 hours can make a difference. A good farmer will catch that and harvest properly. These were started the same day but the one on the left is leggy and I just taste and cut only the tender. One third of the tops usually. The pups get the lower stems minced in their food. 

A four/six ounce harvested bag costs me about 50cents. Round up to one dollar and that is 20 bags for 20 bucks. 

I do buy bulk but just one pound bags of seed. A farmer buys 50 pounds+. And has overhead costs. I'm just pantry farm to table in 5-7 days. About twenty minutes of my time. 

If I harvest properly, pea shoot stems are tender. Purple stemmed RedRambo radish stems are always tender and spicy. 

1716130063_ScreenShot2022-10-08at9_44_26AM.png

1516473932_ScreenShot2022-10-08at9_40_43AM.png

Do you grow them in Hydroton?

Just now, KennethT said:

Do you grow them in Hydroton?

Young freshly soaked and planted seeds have everything they need to sprout and grow. They pack a suitcase full of food/nutrients surrounding their embryo for food germination needing only water. Micro/macro greens sprout quickly. Peas and sunflower seeds need an overnight soak. Radish and small seeds no need. On the table in 5-8 days. A longer germination seed like mesculin, herbs--celery, basil, cilantro, chards, etc, need 3-4 weeks to harvest. They need a bit of food after a couple weeks. 

I only use a strip led above my pantry micro green shelf. Like a night light. Reminds me to check for moisture. Day 4-5 they need some attention getting close to harvest and very thirsty. Can be a dance but if close to your cooking triangle like most tiny NYC apartments, not an issue. 

Back in 2018-19 I gifted a dozen friends and co-workers with micro-green 'kits'. Only half kept up with it but were so thankful during covid lock-down. Salads for days in rotation. They were familiar with the process. 

One ex-chef friend took my gift further and has never looked back. Grows 24-7. 365 days in rotation. 

Screen Shot 2022-10-08 at 3.34.24 PM.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/8/2022 at 3:50 PM, Annie_H said:

Young freshly soaked and planted seeds have everything they need to sprout and grow. They pack a suitcase full of food/nutrients surrounding their embryo for food germination needing only water. Micro/macro greens sprout quickly. Peas and sunflower seeds need an overnight soak. Radish and small seeds no need. On the table in 5-8 days. A longer germination seed like mesculin, herbs--celery, basil, cilantro, chards, etc, need 3-4 weeks to harvest. They need a bit of food after a couple weeks. 

I only use a strip led above my pantry micro green shelf. Like a night light. Reminds me to check for moisture. Day 4-5 they need some attention getting close to harvest and very thirsty. Can be a dance but if close to your cooking triangle like most tiny NYC apartments, not an issue. 

Back in 2018-19 I gifted a dozen friends and co-workers with micro-green 'kits'. Only half kept up with it but were so thankful during covid lock-down. Salads for days in rotation. They were familiar with the process. 

One ex-chef friend took my gift further and has never looked back. Grows 24-7. 365 days in rotation. 

Screen Shot 2022-10-08 at 3.34.24 PM.png

Love this.  Been wanting to get into growing micro greens for a while.  Any suggested web resources for learning?  Where do you order your seeds from? 

I think the kiddies would have a blast with this.

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

Love this.  Been wanting to get into growing micro greens for a while.  Any suggested web resources for learning?  Where do you order your seeds from? 

I think the kiddies would have a blast with this.

I'm not Annie, but I've been using Mumm's Sprouting Seeds in Canada and Sprout People in the US for my seeds and supplies. They have quite a lot of info on their sites also. Lots of other sites and sources, of course, but these ones have served me well. 

Mostly I just grow sprouts using an Easy Sprouter (or here in the US) but I also grow pea shoots. I just grow my pea shoots in water (no soil or growing medium), using a SproutMaster tray, which unfortunately doesn't seem to be available anymore at my usual sites. I didn't want to fiddle around with soil, but there are several options for growing shoots and microgreens. 

I'm sure @Annie_Hwill have more to add. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 1

If you want to grow a lot of sprouts, the way to do it is using a capillary mat, which fits in a standard plug tray.  I've even seen people use plastic windowscreen material over a perforated flat - the roots grow through the screen and the flat into the water in teh tray below.  Tons of videos on youtube

• Like 2