• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Problem rendering veal breast fat

genarog

I'm having a problem when braising veal breast: not much of the fat gets rendered.

While the collagen makes this dish very rich, the fat makes it very heavy. Is there any technique help render more of the fat?

I'm having a problem when braising veal breast: not much of the fat gets rendered.

While the collagen makes this dish very rich, the fat makes it very heavy.  Is there any technique help render more of the fat?

how are you braising? stovetop or oven, and at what temp?

randall

Most of the time on the stovetop; I would say at 200 - 220F. A few times in the oven, same temp. Yesterday, after rekindling the love affair with the pressure cooker, I used the PC and got the same results.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't do this so often if I didn't love this dish; but I just wish it was a little lighter.