• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Atkins

Liza

I'm wondering about the impact of the Atkins diet at a restaurant like Heartbeat, where the menu is already considered healthy. Do you find people making more no-starch requests? (I'll go on record that as someone who prefers moderation rather than elimination.)

Moderation is king. We have seen them all - Atkinians, Pritikonians, Zoners, etc. We honor their requests immediately, but do not design dishes to fit into any of these diet categories. Many of these diets may result in quick weight loss, but could easily spell trouble over the long term. I think we get a more vocal variety of diet-following customers because of who we are. We gladly accommodate them, as well as gladly comment on their diet if they are unwitting enough to ask. :laugh: