• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Authentic Italian Pizza

ReelMike84

My lucky younger sister got to travel for a few weeks in Italy last summer and fell in love with the pizza. Now she wants me to take her somewhere in LA where she can relive the experience she had in Piacenza. I've already made it clear that wherever I take her will obviously not be 100%, but I'd do my best to get "as close to authentic" I could possibly do.

Other then Antica in LB, is there anywhere else I could take her?

The new GQ has a top 25 listing for a slice. LA contenders are Tomato Pie and Antica in Marina Del Rey. Mozza's not on the list but lists are like..... well you know.

"I drink to make other people interesting".

Mike, check out these two places:

Pizzeria Mozza

Angelini Osteria

I really like the pizza at Mozza, although it may not be "authentic Italian" like a Neapolitan. The pizza over at Angelini is really crisp, but I go there to eat other things on the menu, because Gino is the best Italian chef in Los Angeles, IMO.

Pardon me for asking, but what kind of dining experience did your sister have over in Piacenza?

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

I tasted three pizzas at Mozza last week. I'm not going to weigh in about authenticity, but it's delicious pizza.

Authenticity in Italy? That's a huge subject, my friend.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Mike, check out these two places:

Pizzeria Mozza

Angelini Osteria

I really like the pizza at Mozza, although it may not be "authentic Italian" like a Neapolitan. The pizza over at Angelini is really crisp, but I go there to eat other things on the menu, because Gino is the best Italian chef in Los Angeles, IMO.

Pardon me for asking, but what kind of dining experience did your sister have over in Piacenza?

Actually I've been to both Pizzeria Mozza and Anelini Osteria. I fell out of my chain in love with the the Bianca Pizza at Mozza. At Angelini Osteria I didn't order pizza, but I was was enthralled with their Lasagna Verde. Perhaps returning to Angelini Osteria would be worth returning to for the pizza.

I'll ask my sister to describe her Italy experience more clearly. When I had asked previously all she said was "I don't know. It just tasted really fresh and it had like a cracker crust." She's not very descriptive when it comes to food.

Other then Antica in LB, is there anywhere else I could take her?

Wasn't it already established that Antica is in Marina del Rey?

-- http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/615393 --

Linking to an existing discussion might help us guide you better...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Again, can't vouch for authenticity but as long as we're touting Mozza and Angelini Osteria, let's not forget Angelli Cafe on Melrose. Don't get me wrong. Love Nancy Silverton and the rest but, while not as big of a star, Evan Kleiman has done wonderful things over the years for the LA food scene. I've never had a bad meal there. (And Evan is a star in her own right anyway.)

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Again, can't vouch for authenticity but as long as we're touting Mozza and Angelini Osteria, let's not forget Angelli Cafe on Melrose.  Don't get me wrong.  Love Nancy Silverton and the rest but, while not as big of a star, Evan Kleiman has done wonderful things over the years for the LA food scene.  I've never had a bad meal there.  (And Evan is a star in her own right anyway.)

Speaking of Angeli Cafe, Jonathan Gold just happens to mention this place in this pizza article in LA Weekly, along with Bollini's Pizzeria, Bottega Louie, Casa Bianca, Riva, Spark Woodfire Grill, Zelo Gourmet Pizzeria, and of course, Pizzeria Mozza.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...