• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thought I would share my Linguica

Seems like Portugese style linguica is hard to find across the center of the US, but prevalent in every grocery store on both coasts. Here in Central Texas its nowhere.

So what is one to do? Make your own!!

I think I got it fairly authentic with coarse chopped pork butt and chunks of creamy fat. The meat was marinaded in Port wine, garlic and marjoram. Cured and cold smoked with a good amount of pepper mixed in. I love Linguica and grew up on it as a youth in Northern California. Not the easiest sausage to make, but worth the effort.

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

You're in Central Texas? Austin? I would like to buy some from you, and any other charcuterie you might be making. Send me a PM.

I like the coarse chop. I'm not familiar with the style at all, but is it cured for very long?