• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Impressive Dining in NJ

Randi

I have some friends coming in from out of town, and they are total foodies. I want to take them someplace special.

Some of the destinations I am considering are:

Blu

David Drake's

Restaurant Serenade

Restaurant Nicholas

Rat's

Cafe Panache

Sammy's Ye Old Cider Mill

A Toute Heure

Chez Catherine

I've been to dD's and Nicholas. And I've read reviews here about the rest. They are kind of outdated so I'm hoping for some feedback on recent visits.

Also, is there any place I'm not thinking of? I'd love suggestions.

Thanks!

Edited by Randi (log)

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

I have some friends coming in from out of town, and they are total foodies.  I want to take them someplace special.

Blu

David Drake's

Restaurant Serenade

Restaurant Nicholas

Rat's

Cafe Panache

A Toute Heure

Chez Catherine

I've been to dD's and Nicholas.  And I've read reviews here about the rest.  They are kind of outdated so I'm hoping for some feedback on recent visits.

Also, is there any place I'm not thinking of?  I'd love suggestions.

I went to Rat's for the first time on Sunday for a college sorority reunion. The place is 75 miles from where I live and TOTALLY worth the drive. It is gorgeous, the Grounds for Sculpture are amazing, and the food was DIVINE. There might not be another place like this in the whole country. It was wonderful in every way.

I have some friends coming in from out of town, and they are total foodies.  I want to take them someplace special.

Blu

David Drake's

Restaurant Serenade

Restaurant Nicholas

Rat's

Cafe Panache

A Toute Heure

Chez Catherine

I've been to dD's and Nicholas.  And I've read reviews here about the rest.  They are kind of outdated so I'm hoping for some feedback on recent visits.

Thanks!

Take them to Rat's in Hamilton. The walk through the sculptures alone in nice weather is worth it, but the food is still worth it too. A recent dinner there was superb. Excellent wine list too. Ask for a tour of the kitchen!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Blu

David Drake's

Restaurant Serenade

Restaurant Nicholas

Rat's

Cafe Panache

A Toute Heure

Chez Catherine

I've been to dD's and Nicholas.  And I've read reviews here about the rest.   They are kind of outdated so I'm hoping for some feedback on recent visits.

Thanks!

Take them to Rat's in Hamilton. The walk through the sculptures alone in nice weather is worth it, but the food is still worth it too. A recent dinner there was superb. Excellent wine list too. Ask for a tour of the kitchen!

I would consider Nisi in Englewood and Cafe Matisse in Rutherford.

Thanks for the suggestions - we've made reservations at Cafe Matisse. Love the idea of the grazing menu. Hope it's as good as it looks!

Thanks everyone else for the Rat's recommendation. It's next on our list!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

• 2 weeks later...

I've posted pics from our meal in the Cafe Matisse thread here.

I'd also suggest Elements in Princeton, which is the most ambitious new restaurant in central NJ that I'm aware of.  It doesn't always hit the mark, but the cooking is very creative.

http://www.elementsprinceton.com/

Looks lovely and sounds incredible! I've added it to my list of 'must try's