• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beer in smaller bottles

JAZ

Years ago, my sister used to buy "Coronitas" -- Corona beer in smaller bottles -- 7 or 8 ounces, as I recall. I was never a fan of Corona, and at the time the idea struck me as a marketing gimmick.

Now, however, I often find myself wanting just a small beer; 12 ounces is too much, and I either have to waste 4 or 5 ounces or find some way to cook with it. (Actually, come to think of it, my parents often used to split a beer before dinner. At the time, I thought it was cheap; now I think it's great. If I had someone to split a beer with, it would save a lot of beer.)

So, two questions: do any decent breweries bottle beer in anything smaller than 12 ounces? And if not, why not?

Molson makes Cold Shots in 250 ml (= 8.5 ounce US) cans. It's a pale lager with 6% etOH and tastes like strong Budweiser.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Yes, there are decent microbreweries producing beers in "nips" or otherwise small bottles, but they are usually reserved for strong styles like eisbochs and are usually special releases.

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock is the first one that I can think of. It comes in a 6.3 oz bottle.

There are more, but I don't know them off the top of my head. I can take a picture of my boyfriend's little collection of empty nips when I get home, but those are probably all special releases and some of them are 20+ years old. I'll pick his brain for more information.

edit: should be "...strong styles with low yields like eisbochs..."

Edited by feedmec00kies (log)

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

I should add that the reason it's uncommon is that it's more expensive; bottling lines need to be able to accommodate smaller bottles (or else they are hand-bottled) and the bottles themselves are, IIRC, more expensive as well.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

I suppose it depends on the regional market, but most of the majors brewers still sell beer in the 7 ounce bottles in NJ - as can be seen on the Total Wine Cherry Hill price list under "Popular Domestic Brews" (last page) - looks like Bud, Bud Light, Coors Light, Miller Lite, Rolling Rock, etc. A few also come in 8 ounce cans. The previous page (8) also lists Heineken 7 oz'ers and the aforementioned "Coronitas". (Of course, this is probably of no interest to the OP, who specified "decent breweries" :wink: ).

In the "craft brewery" world, the 7 ounce bottle is relatively rare. Anchor used to use it for Old Foghorn, and Rogue had them for a few of their high ABV beers, as well (Imperial Stout and Barleywine, IIRC). Currently, Flying Dog also puts out some 7 ounce bottles, again higher ABV beers, since they wound up owning a brewery in Maryland that for a time brewed and bottled the famed "Little Kings Cream Ale" in the 7 ounce "nips" (aka "ponies")- Frederick, which was owned by now-defunct "Snyder International", that at the time also owned the old Hudepohl-Schoenling brands.

Edited by jesskidden (log)

• 5 months later...

My favorite size bottles are the 11.2 ounce bottles. I know it's not a great deal smaller than the 12oz, but I find it's the perfect amount of beer to fit in one glass. And some beers are so extreme that you really only need that much anyway. For example, I always opt for the small four packs of Duchess de Bourgogne instead of the large 750ml bottle. And I think it's easier to keep the beer fresher when you're drinking alone.

"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her" - W.C. Fields

Thanks, The Hopry

http://thehopry.com/

• 1 year later...

Can't say I find bigger beers a problem!

The 'Stubby' is popular in Australia - makes sense as it can be drunk before it gets to warm. In the UK you get a lot of supermarket onw label beers available in this format, but it's fairly industrial stuff as a rule. The only 'good' beers generally available in small bottles tend to be packaged that way because they are very strong - which ay defeat the purpose.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

I should add that the reason it's uncommon is that it's more expensive; bottling lines need to be able to accommodate smaller bottles (or else they are hand-bottled) and the bottles themselves are, IIRC, more expensive as well.

Not to mention that 8 ounces of beer is just enough to piss me off.