• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Macaroni and cheese on the menu

JAZ

Today's Gear Patrol Dispatch included this "World's Best" Mac & Cheese.

Plus a $10.00 "service fee shipping to California."

Now I am a big fan of Mac & Cheese but there is NO WAY I would spend this much on any version.

One would think they had applied gold leaf, or something. :blink:

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The Lee Brother's Southern Cookbook not only treats Mac and Cheese as a side, but counts it as a vegetable based on their experience in school.

To me, it can go either way, it depends on what type of mac and cheese and my desire for other foods at the same time.

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Down here in the South Pacific (I claim the prize for 'deepest south') we always had it as a main. When I was growing up it was the sort of thing we might have on a Sunday evening in front of the fire and/or TV, but it was always a meal in its own right.

Having now discovered the Modernist Cuisine version, I've served it a couple of times now as a side. I don't think I've really formed a preference, but with the MC version allowing - indeed encouraging - the inclusion of really good cheese, and the associated richness of the finished product, I may end my days using it as an accompaniment to something else. Or as an entrée.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

My late husband would not accept a main dish without animal protein, so I have put cubed ham or flaked tuna fish or scrumpled up, browned breakfast sausage or chopped up hot dogs or kielbasi in my mac and cheese, all depending on the state of the $ and/or leftovers. Also love the stewed tomatoes as a side with it. I, on the other hand love it any way it's served!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

If you make it from scratch, put ham or bacon into it and bake it with extra cheese on top, then it's a main dish (especially if you have salad to have with it.) If it's plain or out of a box, it's a side...

My late husband would not accept a main dish without animal protein, so I have put cubed ham or flaked tuna fish or scrumpled up, browned breakfast sausage or chopped up hot dogs or kielbasi in my mac and cheese, all depending on the state of the $ and/or leftovers. Also love the stewed tomatoes as a side with it. I, on the other hand love it any way it's served!

Stewed tomatoes. So good. Haven't had them in years.

Today's Gear Patrol Dispatch included this "World's Best" Mac & Cheese.

Plus a $10.00 "service fee shipping to California."

Now I am a big fan of Mac & Cheese but there is NO WAY I would spend this much on any version.

One would think they had applied gold leaf, or something. :blink:

Doesn't anyone have a comment about the price of this offering?

Is it just me that thinks this is ridiculous to the nth degree?

Perhaps I selected the wrong topic to bump up.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett