• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

dried hibiscus flowers

hi.

i've been unsuccessful in finding dried hibiscus flowers. does anyone know where i can find them?

during the italian market festival, i walked into many mexican tiendas only to be stared at and denied when i mention hibiscus, or even jaimaica flowers.

i've also gone to the shoprite in norristown and have had no luck.

in case i am unclear, i'm looking for the dried flowers that you steep in hot water (and sugar), which i use to make iced tea, or hibiscus margaritas, etc.

i'm in the manayunk area, and am willing to travel wherever to find them (and if i do, i'll probably clean the store out since i have been unsuccessful).

the only place i've gotten them is in new brunswick, nj, at the french street farmer's market.

i've also seen them online, but i would prefer to find a store that carries it and buy it there.

many thanks!

hi.

i've been unsuccessful in finding dried hibiscus flowers. does anyone know where i can find them?

during the italian market festival, i walked into many mexican tiendas only to be stared at and denied when i mention hibiscus, or even jaimaica flowers.

i've also gone to the shoprite in norristown and have had no luck.

in case i am unclear, i'm looking for the dried flowers that you steep in hot water (and sugar), which i use to make iced tea, or hibiscus margaritas, etc.

i'm in the manayunk area, and am willing to travel wherever to find them (and if i do, i'll probably clean the store out since i have been unsuccessful).

the only place i've gotten them is in new brunswick, nj, at the french street farmer's market.

i've also seen them online, but i would prefer to find a store that carries it and buy it there.

many thanks!

Is the Hibiscus 'tea' they drink in Africa made from the flowers? You can buy that 'tea' fairly easily, I think, and it might be cheaper to bust open the bags than what you're doing. I think you could get it at any Middle Eastern, Caribbean or African grocer.

EDIT: I think they call it Sorrel in Jamaican/Caribbean shops

Edited by Dukeofyork (log)

Is the Hibiscus 'tea' they drink in Africa made from the flowers?  You can buy that 'tea' fairly easily, I think, and it might be cheaper to bust open the bags than what you're doing.  I think you could get it at any Middle Eastern, Caribbean or African grocer.

EDIT: I think they call it Sorrel in Jamaican/Caribbean shops

thanks for your response. i have heard that it's called sorrel in some places, though, the only familiarity i have with it is with mexican cuisine. here's a link to what i'm looking for. but i'll definitely give a try at other ethnic stores besides mexican.

The mexican grocer across the parking lot from Taqueria Veracruzana on Washington Avenue has a huge box of dried Jamaica that you scoop into a bag and buy by the pound. It's where I've always bought mine for infusing rum for cocktails. It's pretty reasonable too. I think it's like $6 or $8 pound, which is an enormous amount.

There's also a big pot on the table outside that same grocery store that usually has elotes for sale, and occasionally has tamales. Yum!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The mexican grocer across the parking lot from Taqueria Veracruzana on Washington Avenue has a huge box of dried Jamaica that you scoop into a bag and buy by the pound.  It's where I've always bought mine for infusing rum for cocktails.  It's pretty reasonable too.  I think it's like $6 or $8 pound, which is an enormous amount.

There's also a big pot on the table outside that same grocery store that usually has elotes for sale, and occasionally has tamales.  Yum!

thank you so much! i actually went inside this store during the italian festival, but it was so jammed inside the store, i didn't make it far past the door. i'll definitely be making many trips here in the future! :smile:

• 1 month later...

I know you've already found your solution, but for future reference, I'm up here in Allentown, and I pay next to nothing for my unique ingredients by shopping in corner markets. Where else can you get a pound of blanched ground almonds for 6 bucks, but in the Arabic stores? I use it to make almond paste and marzipan. It's a little bit of work, but so much cheaper than buying it already made.

Theresa :biggrin:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln