• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bruno Jamais

Wilfrid

I just noticed at the bottom of this page in Crain's that Bruno jamais - the maitre d' described elsewhere on this site as the "villain" of Leslie Brenner's The Fourth Star - has left Daniel to open his own club. From the report, looks like they'll be no misrepresentation that tables are available on any kind of first come basis :laugh: .

Tony Chi seems to be designing a lot of restaurants of late, including NoMI in Chicago (with the decor of which I was not particularly impressed, although the views are stunning and Chi probably did provide a design that highlighted the view). :hmmm:

As noted in the Crain's page, Bruno Jamais went to Ducasse after Daniel. That should have left him with a pretty special mailing list--though this should not be taken as an implication that he had access to any mailing list without express permission. Even without a mailing list, I'd assume many of the regulars at those two restaurants would be eager to find out what Bruno was up to and eager to be the first in the door.

Richard Farnabe has a good resume having gone from Daniel to Jean Geroges and then on to open the Mercer Kichen for JG. Most recently he was at Lotus, where I understand he still consults.

It's a little unclear to me exactly how open to the public this club will be. Needless to say, Crain's is not helpful on this score, but I suspect Wilfrid is correct in his assumption. I assume it should be the perfect venue for an eGullet dinner. :biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

The principles that (1) restaurants should be accessible to everybody who is willing to pay a meal's cost, and (2) with respect to the situation described by L Brenner, maitre d's should not consider an existing relationship with a diner or direct cash tips as prerequisites to getting a "prime time" table if a potential diner calls far enough in advance. :hmmm:

How about the principle that a privately owned business should be able to serve or not serve anybody for any reason, subject to whatever specific laws are in effect such as ones prohibiting racial discrimination? Were you a business owner, wouldn't you want that principle protected?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Steven -- The obligation to be welcoming should, very generally, be more onerous than the "floor" set forth by law. If, say, hypothetically, all male dining room team members were to leer at women diners and really "look them up and down" in an obvious manner, that might not be prohibited by the law, but it would be inappropriate. :hmmm:

Cooksquest, you just beat me to posting that article.

Crains was ambiguous, but this article makes clear that it is a private member's club, so that the question of non-members' rights of access doesn't really arise.

CooksQuest -- Well, that level of fee could be appropriate for one of Jamais' target markets. "You have no idea how many people go out and spend five, six, eight thousand dollars a night."

Jamais appears obnoxious even with respect to some of his quotes: "But even if they live on the Upper West Side, I will take them." :hmmm: "Who are these exclusive clients anyway? 'They will be men who are presidents and chairmen of huge companies,' declares Jamais confidently. And the women? 'They will be the wives of the presidents and chairmen!' :hmmm:

Cooksquest, you just beat me to posting that article.

Crains was ambiguous, but this article makes clear that it is a private member's club, so that the question of non-members' rights of access doesn't really arise.

Sorry, Wilfrid. Thanks for the original post.

I just don't remember Jamais at Daniel - obviously I've been lucky. Sounds 'orrible, but I would assume he's as nice as pie to the people he wants to join his club. He wouldn't be the first complete asshole to run a very successful club.

Am I right to say that the concept works well in London (Mark Birley comes to mind), but not in New York as the guy who took over the former premises of the Gibbon on E. 80th St offers proof of? What's for sure is that Bruno has the right surname for a venture destined for failure.

There are quite a number of private dining clubs in London - Mosimann's springs to mind also, and I expect that costs a packet. Since there are plainly plenty of private members' clubs in New York, not centred around dining, I wonder why a private dining club wouldn't do well?

Edit; found theMosimann web site. Nice looking joint. There's a bunch of recipes to peruse too, but the membership fee seems available only upon application. I would guess it must be around a thousand quid. Anyone know?

That's starting to look expensive :rolleyes: If you eat there once a week year round, you are paying a $134 supplement for every meal. Surely you must be able to take guests. And one must assume that Bruno will feel free to have an extremely expensive menu and wine list too.

Does anyone know what a nice private New York club would set you back each year? There's the Knickerbockers, and there's that one with the nice entrance on the corner of 60th or 61st and 5th.