• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nikos Taverna

=Mark

A great new Greek place has opened in the Ursala Plaza shopping center in Long Branch. It's a family owned establishment that really puts their heart into the cooking. Our waiter was very knowledgable about the food and was pretty amusing to boot.

We started with the Kalimari and dolmedas. For entrees we did the spanikopeda and Pork souvlaki. Again, everything was excellent. The only real problem was with the spanikopeda; the portion was just huge! Caused me to avoid dessert.

Luckily, said waitguy advised my friend to order a special dessert that was not on the menu. Ekmek, which was a combo of baked shredded phyllo, syrup, pastry cream and slivered almonds. She was swooning and I had a taste. I don't really have a sweet tooth but this was excellent!

Looks like this will be a keeper...

The menu be Here.

nikos800.jpg

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

• 4 weeks later...
I believe that is just down the road from Pier Village. Did you see their fish of the day? I am a big fan of whole grilled fresh fish.

The last time I was there they had 3 different types of fish for grilling on the specials board...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak