• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Viticulture and Enology Studies

piracer

I was thinking since i've got a pretty big interest in wine, why not go and study wine making in College.

So the question here is, anyone know of a good place for Viticulture and Enology studies? From what i know, UC Davis has a pretty good program, and also Cornell offers the program.

Thanks for any help.

I was thinking since i've got a pretty big interest in wine, why not go and study wine making in College.

So the question here is, anyone know of a good place for Viticulture and Enology studies? From what i know, UC Davis has a pretty good program, and also Cornell offers the program.

Thanks for any help.

You may want to check out Appalacian State University in Boone, NC. The state just gave the school a huge grant to expand the enology department there.

Beautiful place, too.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Hi thanks for the reply, I can't really seem to find any links towards Appalacian State University regarding their enology department. I did see the website on Niagara College, however i wonder is it worth it seeing that the wine industry in Canada is not as strong as that in the States? Although of course, North Carolina's wine industry itself really isn't all that developed , i think.

Hi thanks for the reply, I can't really seem to find any links towards Appalacian State University regarding their enology department. I did see the website on Niagara College, however i wonder is it worth it seeing that the wine industry in Canada is not as strong as that in the States? Although of course, North Carolina's wine industry itself really isn't all that developed , i think.

NC's wine industry is on the cusp of developing at a rapid rate. Land is still reasonable, the climate is changing with global warming and enology is becoming more integrated in what used to be "seat of the pants" winemaking.

However, the wines still suffer from the infancy of the industry and the fact that vinefera don't especially like a temperate rain forest.

If you can't find anything on line, you may want to give them a call. Grant Holder is head of the department.

Also see: http://www.allbusiness.com/education-train...11683411-1.html

Best, Jim

Edited by Florida Jim (log)

www.CowanCellars.com