• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Special Pricing in Higher-End NYC Restaurants?

robyn

I do some work on a travel chatboard which has a long running thread about "crisis discounts" in higher end hotels. Very useful thread.

In the course of my restaurant research on NYC - I have run across a couple of similar discounts. The one at Jean Georges - $24 for a 3 course lunch - has been mentioned before here by several people (there is also a $35 dinner at some of the chef's other restaurants - check out the website). I just ran across another. A three course lunch at Cafe Boulud (2 or 3 choices for each course) for $24. Hard to beat that (I've had dinner there before - wasn't the greatest dinner - but it was fine and lunch at $24 is a steal IMO).

If I run across any others - I will post them. And if any of you know or run across any others - it might be good to mention them here - so they'll be in a single thread. That way - people who dine in New York - especially those of us who are visiting and don't look at these things all that often - don't wind up punching ourselves in the head - muttering - "I could have had a V8!" :smile:. Robyn

Tribeca Grill has 3 course fixed price menus for lunch ($24) and dinner ($35).

BTW - if you live in New York - and/or are familiar with these restaurants - and these have been the normal prices for years and years - let me know. Somehow - I think they're something new - but I haven't been to New York for 5 years - and simply don't know.

FWIW - I am restricting my search to 2 areas - UES and Tribeca/Soho - beccause I'll be in those areas at lunch time. Robyn

...FWIW - I am restricting my search to 2 areas - UES and Tribeca/Soho - beccause I'll be in those areas at lunch time.  Robyn

Or maybe not - EMP has a 2 course lunch special which looks wonderful at $28.

I hope that the fellow who was looking for an "inexpensive foodie experience" is reading this. With tax and tips - these meals will exceed his group's $35 limit - but they're all terrific values.

I feel like a kid in a candy store looking at these lunch specials (especially compared to the prices we encountered in Paris last fall). Robyn

By way of correction/clarification - a friend of mine mentioned to me privately:

"With regard to Jean Georges, in the the formal dining room, lunch is 2 courses for $28, with each additional course $14 + $8 per dessert. It is the more casual Nougatine which offers the 3-course prix-fixe for $24."

Want to make sure my information is correct (so thanks to my friend :smile: ).

My husband and I actually have reservations with friends for lunch in the formal dining room a couple of weeks from now. I think it's a beautiful room (have dined there before). Like it much more than the Nougatine space - so it's worth it to me to spend the extra money. YMMV. Robyn

Here's is a very, very complete list of "Recession Specials":

http://nymag.com/daily/food/2008/11/recession_dining.html

And eater.com has been tracking them in NYC for a few months now:

http://eater.com/tags/dealfeed

And also in handy map form (in the right hand column there is a dropdown menu where you can see neighborhood-specific maps):

http://eater.com/archives/2008/10/eater_ma...on_specials.php

The weekday EMP lunch deal was instituted several months ago IIRC, but the JG lunch prix fixe has been that way for a long while now.

Edited by kathryn (log)
"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

The lunch specials at Jean Georges and Nobu have been available for a long time, and weren't added just for the recession. They are very good deals nevertheless.

What I was thinking. And many of the restaurants listed have had lunch specials year-round since long before the "crisis."

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Here's is a very, very complete list of "Recession Specials":

http://nymag.com/daily/food/2008/11/recession_dining.html

And eater.com has been tracking them in NYC for a few months now:

http://eater.com/tags/dealfeed

And also in handy map form (in the right hand column there is a dropdown menu where you can see neighborhood-specific maps):

http://eater.com/archives/2008/10/eater_ma...on_specials.php

The weekday EMP lunch deal was instituted several months ago IIRC, but the JG lunch prix fixe has been that way for a long while now.

Good resources - but I suggest double-checking. For example - one source (forget which one) lists the EMP special at $38 - it is now $28.

Another lunch special that looks interesting to me is David Burke Townhouse (3 courses for $24.07).

I don't know exactly when the recession started (who does?) - but I think the first major shock to the financial system was the collapse of Bear Stearns in March 2008. So this has been going on for a while. And I think more and more restaurants are getting on the bandwagon (even the Four Seasons has a $59 3 course lunch/dinner). And will continue to do so over the coming months (hotel discounts are still becoming more common and more generous - not less). Robyn

Most/many of the NY lunch specials began during the last recession. Ditto for many of the $35 dinner specials. Restaurant Week began during that recession and restaurants just kept serving those meals year round. (which is why restaurant week has always been a joke)

Most/many of the NY lunch specials began during the last recession. Ditto for many of the $35 dinner specials. Restaurant Week began during that recession and restaurants just kept serving those meals year round. (which is why restaurant week has always been a joke)

It's not a joke; you just need to be aware of what's a special, and what is not. Originally, a lot of the RW deals really were significant discounts off of the usual price. Some (but not all) restaurants kept those deals year-round. Edited by oakapple (log)

It's not a joke; you just need to be aware of what's a special, and what is not. Originally, a lot of the RW deals really were significant discounts off of the usual price. Some (but not all) restaurants kept those deals year-round.

Agree totally. As a matter of fact, there are some really great deals to be had, especially as the food budget gets tighter.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 4 weeks later...

What day of the week? Weekday specials are much more common than weekend specials (assuming the restaurant in question even serves lunch on weekends).

Easy answer is Jean Georges, two course pix fixe, $28, Monday through Saturdays in the formal dining room (not the Nougatine room). Each additional course is $14. Dessert is $8 additional. With the amuse-bouche and petit fours, you may not need them.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure