• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fancy Caramel Apples!

Smiley Riley

Hello everybody, I am hoping to make some great caramel apples for my son Riley to sell at our upcoming yard sale. I have made Kerry Beals' caramel for turtles etc, very gooood recipe I might add, though I think it is too thick to put on apples.

My questions are;

Is there a recipe that will allow caramel to not flow off the apples, at room temperature?

What would the ideal temperature be for cooking it at?

Would a straight carmelized sugar be better (without any cream)?

Any thoughts on the topic would be greatly appreciated.

I have used that recipe for caramel apples, but I coat the caramel in chocolate. Still do get some leakage. I wonder if you added a hundred grams of cocoa butter to the recipe at the end if it would firm up sufficiently.

I have used that recipe for caramel apples, but I coat the caramel in chocolate.  Still do get some leakage.  I wonder if you added a hundred grams of cocoa butter to the recipe at the end if it would firm up sufficiently.

Add the cocoa butter to the caramel? As is cools?

I have used that recipe for caramel apples, but I coat the caramel in chocolate.  Still do get some leakage.  I wonder if you added a hundred grams of cocoa butter to the recipe at the end if it would firm up sufficiently.

Add the cocoa butter to the caramel? As is cools?

That's what I'm thinking - just after you take it off the heat.

this recipe looks like it might work--although I'm not enough of a candy maker to really tell from just looking at it.

Scroll down--

http://www.dyannbakes.com/

edited to add--

prairiegirl

I am looking as well for the perfect recipe for apples. i found a video/website that has a demo.

it is www.dyannbakes.com and the recipe is caramel coated apples.

oops--didn't read your post to the end.......

Edited by zoe b (log)

Thanks for the link to the video. I will try that one.

I found another recipe on the week end and tried it. Unfortunately it was not a success, the recipe immediately began to burn in the pot :angry: , creating a burnt granular mess. Will get back with the results of Dyanna bakes caramel apples

Thanks for your input.

Peter

Made my usual caramel today with 50 grams of cocoa butter added with the butter and honey. Used it to dip pretzels. There is still a fair amount of flow until it cools, but the texture is nice. Not sure if it would have any advantage for dipping apples though.

If you are covering an apple with Caramel and Chocolate, is it best to use a tart apple?

Any apples better for this purpose than others?

I have never done this myself and I think it is time to try it out!

b

You need to use an apple that will stand up to the heat. I use Matsu (crispin), delicious or granny smith. Can't use mac's - turn to mush.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend who owns a candy shop that specializes in Caramel apples. Her secret is to add Guittard Vanilla Appeals to the caramel. She swears it stops the caramel from sliding and has a huge following, so I'm thinking it is a good solution.

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

I have a friend who owns a candy shop that specializes in Caramel apples. Her secret is to add Guittard Vanilla Appeals to the caramel. She swears it stops the caramel from sliding and has a huge following, so I'm thinking it is a good solution.

I was just looking at the recipe again today. I will try adding the appeals. Oh, by the way, turkeys can't fly (lol)!!!!