• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Queen Street

Back in January we had the pleasure of an evening meal at Corrigans, Mayfair and was looking for an informal lunch, at a reasonable price, so I took a look at the Michelin Bib Gourmands

GQS fitted the bill perfectly.

Dark and dingy with heavily worn wooden floors, its in no way as inspiring as the food on offer

Along one wall is a bar, although the focus here of course is the food.

Before I move on to the food, let me give you a tip, ask for a window table, they are a lot lighter and you can watch the animation outside.

Fortunately, I kept the paper menu of the day, although I did remember some of it.

Some of the starters, Onion soup and Ardrahan, Cured sprats, broccoli and radicchio, Brawn and ham hock terrine, Warm snail and bacon salad etc

Mains Partridge and lentils, Skate and tomato sauce, Hereford Beef: salted brisket, dripping toast and pickles. Braised Hare and pickled walnut, Blackface Mutton hotpot (for two) etc

Dessert Chocolate tart, Buttermilk pudding and rhubarb, Little seville orange pot, Muscat caramel cream,etc

Listed at the top of the menu were, Campari and Clementine, and Hoppit Firkin, a real ale from Loddon Brewery, Oxfordshire, so thats what we started with :biggrin:

Well we guessed the portions at Corrigans would be genorous so we skipped starters and jumped straight in with the Hare.

Hare is very rarely on a menu so we both plumped for it.

Needless to say it was divine, a big hunk of divineness with near black sauce, due to the pickled walnut, there was also lots of chunks of celery adding further depth of flavour.

It was served with buttery mash and we had a side of Kale, scrumptious!

We were pleased with the trencherman portions and had no room for dessert.

Tom Norrington-Davies is not only a highly skilled chef, he makes good use of the pen also. Writing good articles for the telegraph.

I'm extremely gratefull to Jasper Gerard for his timely review, as it reminded me how good this place really is.

Do go if you like full on flavor

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/re...eet-London.html

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

i have been to GQS many times since it opened, i tend to order starters as i find the protions quite generous and often a bit much for lunch although i did have a delicious roast pheasant there back in the autumn. Dishes i have sampled (and can remember) include gaspacho, crab on toast and home cured bresaola and i am yet to be disappointed. If you only eat in one place in Covent garden, this should be it

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Went there once 18 months or so ago and the food was excellent. I agree the place is a bit dark, but the food more than makes up for the lack of lighting! I shared an awesome rib of beef between myself and a friend, it was so good I probably could have eaten the lot myself!

Went there once 18 months or so ago and the food was excellent.  I agree the place is a bit dark, but the food more than makes up for the lack of lighting!  I shared an awesome rib of beef between myself and a friend, it was so good I probably could have eaten the lot myself!

He knows how to put a big bit of comfort on a plate :biggrin:

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

• 3 weeks later...

Had fantastic, if a little mean, potted crab at Great Queen Street last night. I thought we might have peaked early but the Steak and Mushroom Pie for two was really good as well though I couldn't find any obvious sign of mushrooms. Fantastic pastry and a marrow bone for a pie funnel. Finished with a milk pudding with some very nice strawberries.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"