• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MasterChef Australia!

Ce'nedra

Anyone been watching? What do you think of it?

I've been watching it religiously since it's related to food (tick) and is on at a convenient time -dinner (tick).

I have to say, I was really disappointed about Brent's elimination last week. Certainly unfair from my pov.

For anyone who's been missing out, episodes are available on streaming here

http://www.masterchef.com.au/episodes.htm

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

I've been watching it religiously since it's related to food (tick) and is on at a convenient time -dinner (tick).

I have to say, I was really disappointed about Brent's elimination last week. Certainly unfair from my pov.

Is this on TV in the states? If so, what channel? Thanks!

I like aspects of the show but the elimination of contestants by peer votes makes it too much like Survivor: Masterchef. Will the best chef end up as the winner?

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Is this on TV in the states? If so, what channel? Thanks!

Probably not but you can watch the show in the link I posted above :biggrin:

I like aspects of the show but the elimination of contestants by peer votes makes it too much like Survivor: Masterchef. Will the best chef end up as the winner?

That's the one thing that puts off too. I've been enjoying (and learning) a lot about food watching the show but I just really think having the contestants vote is a mistake. My feeling is that Brent was an easy target since he was a threat to the other contestants (since the man can cook).

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

I do not follow as I should but it is a good show Although this way pass my time to have a career or own a restaurant still makes a good viewing and I agree I do not like certain aspects of the elimination.

I am more for the final cook off between the three bottom contestants.

I to have found joy in watching this series - I don't agree with the voting-off tactic as personal stuff can get in the way of cooking-ethics and excellent cooks can be voted out for tactical reasons....

This link doesn't work in canada - does it work in the states?

Cheers

GB

• 4 weeks later...

Not available to overseas countries it follows the line of its counterpart MasterChef UK Also not available overseas. However some parts can be viewed in youtube or torrents.

I may even upload some series next month when I get my new ADSL 2 plus.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, after 72 episodes it's all finished! Australia has its first Master Chef.

Without wanting to spoil it for those who haven't seen it, let me just say that, on a personal note, I was just a little disappointed in the final result. From day one, I was hoping that two other contestants would go through to fight it out in the final. That they came out 2nd and 3rd in the competition overall is nothing to be sneezed at however!

That, the runner-up got to the final at all is a minor miracle!

I see in a recent Bloomberg news article, that the finale "was the third-highest-rating program [in Australia] since Oztam began collecting data, eclipsed only by the 2003 Rugby World Cup and 2005 Australian Open tennis finals," with a "peak audience of 4.11 million."

Looking forward to the second season - starting in April 2010 by all reports. This programme will surely only help heighten the profile and popularity of restaurants and chefs with the average Australian. Much needed with business down in the wake of the recent financial crunch. A recent victim (in part) being 'The Greedy Goose', winner of the 2005 television show "My Restaurant Rules", which shut it's doors earlier this year.

Edited by I8U8 (log)

Regards,

Peter

• 5 months later...

This is now on in the UK on "Watch" SKY channel 109.

Only been watching 10 minutes of first round and it's amazing that they kept it as the same problem as it's very very different.

First round strikes me as very X Factor. Lots of people in an audition room cheering, whooping and clapping. I'm almost expecting some angry parents to go stomping in to see the judges when someone gets turned down.

Haven't seen enough to really knock it down but I'm not a big fan of this style so far.

• 1 month later...

Wow! What a totally brilliant program that was... An emotional roller coaster if ever there was one. I've just watched the whole thing over 3 days and am now knackered! I was more than happy with the result but would have liked the other finalist to be someone else ideally. One important thing Masterchef Australia showed me is that manipulating results, bitching, backstabbing and swearing all the time is not necessary to make great television. Fond as I am of Masterchef UK it doesn't compare at all, it's like the difference between Cadbury's Bourneville (pleasant enough) and Valrhona Manjari (the real deal).

Edited to add that it's worth persevering with as the first few episodes are a bit dire.

Edited by ChristinaM (log)

• 8 years later...