• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

That elusive crisp chicken skin

OliverB

Not too long ago there was a piece in Cooks Illustrated about crispy chicken skin. The bottom line was to dry the skin out by leaving it uncovered overnight in the fridge and using baking powder as an ingrediant in the rub. I have tried this with quite good results. There is only a bit of salt left behind by the baking powder because it breaks down in the cooking process and the skin is noticably crispier. They also mention separating the skin from the meat by runnining your fingers in between the skin and the breast meat, which I do anyway because I like to take the pieces of chicken fat that I pull out of the cavity and push them up under the breast skin to baste it as it cooks.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)

Not too long ago there was a piece in Cooks Illustrated about crispy chicken skin. The bottom line was to dry the skin out by leaving it uncovered overnight in the fridge and using baking powder as an ingrediant in the rub. I have tried this with quite good results. There is only a bit of salt left behind by the baking powder because it breaks down in the cooking process and the skin is noticably crispier. They also mention separating the skin from the meat by runnining your fingers in between the skin and the breast meat, which I do anyway because I like to take the pieces of chicken fat that I pull out of the cavity and push them up under the breast skin to baste it as it cooks.

HC

I've been wondering if it's possible somehow to combine this method with the Blumenthal method.

I've been wondering if it's possible somehow to combine this method with the Blumenthal method.

I use a method based off the zuni cafe technique, salt and air dry for about 24 hours before cooking. I use about one tablespoon kosher salt to a 3.5 lb chicken and rub all over the skin and flesh. The salt acts as a "dry brine" and the air drying helps remove some water from the skin. This isn't a true hybrid method but works well for me. I usually remove the backbone and breastbone so the bird lays flat then roast at 400 (give or take depending on time). This seems to produce a nice crisp skin, but tenting with aluminum foil does soften up a bit, so I don't always tent and just let is rest a couple minutes before eating.

Sooner or later the skin gets soggy if you have leftovers. Instead of trying to crisp it up on the meat again, I pull it off and fry it like bacon. I usually add some extra oil/butter to fry it in, and then... well, it's chicken-bacon, good on everything!

I'm roasting a chicken (with the skin stuffed with ricotta) right now. My trick for the skin is salt. Lots of it. And just let it rest in the warm oven (I just turn it off.) Also I think the oven should be fan forced, that helps a touch.

I also stuff it with lemon.

I've got this exact roast chicken recipe on my blog.