• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seville

nikkib

I will be heading to Seville for the 1st time in a couple of weeks and would love to know where i should eat/what i should eat, what to bring back (foodstuffs in particular) etc etc etc. any advice would be hugely helpful - thanks!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

I will be heading to Seville for the 1st time in a couple of weeks and would love to know where i should eat/what i should eat, what to bring back (foodstuffs in particular) etc etc etc. any advice would be hugely helpful - thanks!

Nikkib, Seville is marvellous at spring. "Tapas" is the key concept there, so here is the list of bars I use to visit every time I go there:

La Barbiana (C/ Albareda 9): Manzanilla -Jerez wine-, meatballs of cuttlefish, sailor stews. You will also find something very special, "ortiguillas", an anemone that is fried and has a very special texture and a deep sea flavour.

La Flor de Toranzo (C/ Jimios 1-3): Good iberic ham, one of the best places to eat "molletes" -kind of bread-, specially the spiced pork tenderloin. Good selection of wines.

Jaylu (C/ López De Gomara 19): The best ham I ever tasted in Seville, good sea crabs, trifles or oysters. . Sometimes irregular and certainly not cheap, as the product they handle

Becerrita (C/ Recaredo 9) : Very popular bar. Good selection of wines, I love their croquettes of tail of bull. Also one of the best places to eat in Sevilla if you prefer a restaurante.

Bodeguita Romero (C/ Harinas 10): Local people consider it the best place to eat "pringá", a little piece of bread fullfilled with the meat from the "puchero andaluz" -basically a pork stew.

Yebra (C/ Medalla Milagrosa 3) : Good ham, pork tenderloin stew or "salmorejo", also offers more elaborated dishes, a little bit far from the center, it's worth it.

Ham, Ortiguillas, "Pringá", "Salmorejo", Fried fish...

Hope it helps.

Carlos

Great! Thanks for this, i am a huge fan of tapas but have never heard of the ortiguellas before, they sound great!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

will i be able to find percebes anywhere?

Yo might be lucky if you choose the right place. I'm thinking of Manolo Vázquez restaurant, near the cathedral. Anyway take a lot of care, cause there are two different kinds of percebe, the good one is the "galician" which lives in cold waters, deep flavour to iododine. The not so good one is the one that is captured near morrocan coasts, so warm water, tenuous flavor, slightly sweet, almost liquid inside, just a thin thread. The price should correspond to the quality, anyway Seville is not the place to look for percebe -in my opinion.

Carlos