• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lemon Balm

Magictofu

We have lemon balm growing in our garden and we need to trim it dramatically as it threathen to choke all other plants growing in the area. I would really hate to add everything to the compost pile but can't find many ideas to use it all.

We have made a few herbal teas with the fresh leaves in the past and have incorporated it to yogurt based sauces a few times but haven't really thought about using it for anything else. What else can be done with it?

By the way, either I can't find the proper way to dry it or this herb just tastes very bad when dried.

It's probably too early in the season, but I like to add it to preserves while they cook. It imparts a slightly acidic component that brightens the flavor and cuts the sweetness a bit. It is particularly nice with peaches. And if your plants are like mine, even if it goes into the compost, there will be plenty again in a week or so. :wink:

Make a bunch of lemon balm-flavored simple syrup with it and you will find all kinds of uses for it--to flavor iced teas, fruit salads, paletas, etc.

It's also very nice chiffonaded and added to green salads along with other herbs.

I am eradicating it in our yard. It is the kudzu of herbs. I could not find lemon basil and hoped it would substitute. It really does not and it now is taking over the entire garden.

zoe b, I was going to suggest the same thing, in sugar cookies.  Of course, the green flecks would have made my children retch and recoil--more cookies for me, then. :laugh:

yes, I learned this tactic from my mother--she always told us that kids didn't like real maple syrup--that Log Cabin was better!

now that the kids are grown, if I'm feeling really selfish, I make hard crunchy biscotti instead of nice soft cookies--so my Hub, for once, won't eat them all in one day!

Z

Edited by zoe b (log)