• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mussels steamed with beer

SobaAddict70

That's what's for dinner tonight.

Normally I use white wine but I thought I'd like to do something else for a change. Beer is not high on my list of things to drink -- if I go out to eat, it's not something that I would normally think of ordering, but I *have* done it on occasion.

Elsewhere, it's been suggested to me that I should consider a Belgian beer. Well, since I'm not a beer drinker, much less a regular bar-goer, I wouldn't know what tastes good.

Is there something people might recommend?

Edit -- to be clear, I'm looking for a brand name. I'm in NYC if that helps.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

When you say Steamed - do you mean you will simply boil the beer and place the mussels in a steamer? Or simply deglaze with beer and cover the lid?

Either way, I would suggest a light bear - a Belgian beer such as Hoegaarden would be good, or even a crisp light Mexican beer like Corona would work.

More flavour with the Belgian, more crisp light notes with the Corona.

The benefit of a Belgian beer for this kind of thing is that many Belgian styles are not at all hoppy. I think a something like a witte or a saison would do well for this kind of thing, Hoegaarden being the most ubiquitous witte (and as such, cheaper than a lot of other options). This style brings in some decidedly non-beer-like flavors to the table, like orange peel and coriander. And it's certainly light enough that it's not going to overwhelm the mussels.

Christopher

When you say Steamed - do you mean you will simply boil the beer and place the mussels in a steamer?  Or simply deglaze with beer and cover the lid?

Either way, I would suggest a light bear - a Belgian beer such as Hoegaarden would be good, or even a crisp light Mexican beer like Corona would work.

More flavour with the Belgian, more crisp light notes with the Corona.

Dump the cleaned/debearded mussels in a pot, along with chopped shallots, some parsley stems, a slice of lemon and the beer. Bring to a boil, turn heat down a notch or two, cover and let the mussels steam in their own juices until cooked.

Serve with a loaf of sourdough bread -- as I type this I'm thinking of the heel of sourdough that's on top of my fridge, which will be perfect with this.

Thanks for the help btw.

The benefit of a Belgian beer for this kind of thing is that many Belgian styles are not at all hoppy.  I think a something like a witte or a saison would do well for this kind of thing, Hoegaarden being the most ubiquitous witte (and as such, cheaper than a lot of other options).  This style brings in some decidedly non-beer-like flavors to the table, like orange peel and coriander.  And it's certainly light enough that it's not going to overwhelm the mussels.

Christopher

Agreed. When I've seen the type of beer mentioned on menus, it's usually a witte/witbier, though a saison would probably work too.

You should definitely go with Hoegaarden, as the past 2 people have suggested. It's decent and easy to find, since it's produced by Anheuser-Busch InBev.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

Many people associate Beligian beer to the various Abbey beers such as Chimay or Westmalle which in my mind ressemble more wines than the usual blond lagger that is so familiar to most of us. I love to cook with these beers but not mussels or fish since they can easily overpower your dish. They can be great with meat though and simply fabulous in a glass.

As many said, a good white beer, like Hoegaarden, works well.

No, not Guinness!  Way too assertive for mussels.  Maybe if he were braising some short-ribs.  I'll echo my support of Hoegaarden as a good choice.

Stouts and Porters are excellent for mussels, just use less.

An oz. of Guinness per lb. of mussels is good, and it leaves you with more to drink.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Well as it turns out I couldn't get any Hoegaarden because the Gristedes I was at sold it in a six pack. And since I'm not a beer drinker by any stretch of the imagination, I wasn't about to pick up a case just for one dish. :angry:

I got a bottle of Ommegang Witte instead.

I still have about 3/4 of a bottle left. Hmph. Maybe I'll think of something.

gallery_1890_1967_44453.jpg

Turned out well after all.

• 1 year later...

Go and get some Lambic ale next time, works very well and is sold in single bottles. Trader Joe's, probably Whole Food and definitely a good booze store like BevMo has it. Many come with a cork and wire cage like a bottle of champagne. I made that years ago and it was very tasty. If I recall correctly, the beer was more on the sour side, made a great broth.

I've been craving mussels lately (lol, typed muscles first, which I'm craving too, but can't find in any store!) and might just have to make this dish again, I think the kids are old enough so they would eat it now.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog