• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Fat Duck 2006

• 1 month later...

i think that was just about slow cooking for long times , people saying how can u kill bacteria with certain meats if u only cooked to 56 degrees ? i seen an article with heston were he explains with the temperature of things , he explained how the holding time at the temperature comes into play with killing bacteria , but im sure that get alot of health and safety officers go through there if not independant as well for thier own precautions , but enjoy the lunch will definetly be and amazing culinary journey for u whichever way it goes :)just dont have big expectations and the meal will be more thrilling and inspiring just enjoy and appreciate

I've heard from my brother (who lives in France) that the Fat Duck had some serious issues about hygiene. Is this some rumor spreading on the other side of the channel or is that true?

There were some small issues, but they were cleared up. And I don't believe it had anything to do with cleanliness.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

• 2 months later...

Well, since there's been a complaint about the lack of photos on this thread, here are some I took last year...

gallery_36345_3042_668994.jpg

mango and douglas fir purée, bavarois of lychee and mango, blackcurrant sorbet

gallery_36345_3042_348634.jpg

the infamous snail porridge, somewhat out of focus

gallery_36345_3042_453653.jpg

two diners sitting accross from me

gallery_36345_3042_1324579.jpg

on the left, a cedar "mint", or "film". Toast with truffles. On the right, jelly of quail topped with langoustine cream and a parfait of foie gras. Orgasmic. My favourite.

gallery_36345_3042_259515.jpg

Pine sherbet fountain. this is something that mimics the fountains Heston had as a child, but which I've never had, since I am from Brazil. The vanilla pod is to be dipped in the sour powder and licked/sucked. Made many diners around me giggle. I brought mine back to my B&B and photographed it outside so it would show up clearly.

Alexandra Forbes

Brazilian food and travel writer, @aleforbes on Twitter

Official Website

Here is a photo report of our dinner at The Fat Duck on April 26, 2006. In general, the meal provided a great deal of intellectual stimulation, but lacked one, key ingredient: truly delicious food. With the exception of the foie gras and the hot/cold tea, there was very little that I would ever crave. Other great restaurants, like the French Laundry or El Bulli, generally have several, fantastic dishes. That being said, I still enjoyed the meal and creative, if sometimes bizarre, combinations.

The entrance

gallery_10136_2514_296989.jpg

Nitro-Green Tea and Lime Mousse

This was prepared tableside and intended to clean your palate. It was theatrical, but in a good way.

gallery_10136_2514_424112.jpg

gallery_10136_2514_644989.jpg

Oyster, Passion Fruit Jelly, Horseradish Cream, Lavender

A pleasant oyster and I almost always enjoy passion fruit. The horseradish added an enjoyable kick.

gallery_10136_2514_78727.jpg

Pommery Grain Mustard Ice Cream, Red Cabbage Gazpacho

A bit odd, but really quite good. The ice cream/sorbet dishes after this would all be disappointing. The cool, icy mustard in this dish really worked well, though.

gallery_10136_2514_42050.jpg

Jelly of Quail, Langoustine Cream, Parfait of Foie Gras

Probably my favorite dish. Everything was soft, and the flavors came together.

gallery_10136_2514_77849.jpg

Snail Porridge, Joselito Ham, Shaved Fennel

Tasty, but no depth or complexity. The porridge was nicely cooked with some texture left. Not a stand out.

gallery_10136_2514_169819.jpg

Roast Foie Gras, Almond Fluid Gel, Cherry and Chamomile

A nice foie gras dish -- great combination of flavors. The little gelee cubes were a nice textural component.

gallery_10136_2514_25628.jpg

Sardine on Toast Sorbet, Ballotine of Mackerel "Invertebrate", Marinated Daikon

This had an interesting dish with the taste of the sea in the background. At the end of the day, though, it just wasn't that good. Fishy sorbet doesn't work for me. The marinated daikon, however, did add a very pleasant component to the dish.

gallery_10136_2514_20750.jpg

Salmon Poached with Liquorice, Asparagus, Pink Grapefruit, "Manni" Olive Oil

By far, the worst dish of the night. I admit that I don't like licorice, but the whole dish was unpleasant. The salmon had an almost mushy consistency and the licorice sort of crept up on you out of nowhere and ended up overwhelming the palate. The vanilla bean mayonnaise was simply oily tasting.

gallery_10136_2514_504425.jpg

Poached Breast of Anjou Pigeon Pancetta, Pastilla of its Leg, Pistachio, Cocoa and Quatre Epices

A slightly more successful dish. The pigeon was well cooked and a relief after the last dish. I particularly liked the cocoa nibs. The pastilla was greasy and tasteless, though.

gallery_10136_2514_478710.jpg

Mrs. Marshall's Margaret Cornet

Cute presentation, but forgettable in terms of taste. Basically, a small ice cream cone with little flavor.

gallery_10136_2514_154626.jpg

Parsnip Cereal with Milk

I really liked this one. I'm not sure if the dehydrated parsnip flakes were sweetened, but they were quite tasty.

gallery_10136_2514_673328.jpg

Pine Sherbet Fountain

Our picture didn't turn out so well. This is the vanilla bean dipped in a tangy powder -- similar to a "Fun Dip" from childhood. Good, but no culinary achievement.

Mango and Douglas Fir Puree, Bavarois of Lychee and Mango, Blackcurrant Sorbet

A very disappointing dessert. Boring and too subtle, except for the blackcurrant sorbet. The mango and lychee were barely noticeable and the douglas fir nonexistent.

gallery_10136_2514_622190.jpg

Carrot and Orange Tuile, Beetroot Jelly

These were simple and tasty. Not much more than that.

gallery_10136_2514_425270.jpg

Smoked Bacon and Egg Ice Cream, Pain Perdu and Tea Jelly

This, of course, is a play on breakfast for dessert. One of the least successful dishes. The bacon and egg ice cream was decidedly unpleasant, and the pain perdu and salted caramel didn't mitigate that. I pretty much ate all the caramel and left the rest. The tea jelly was wonderful, but half of our table didn't care for it.

gallery_10136_2514_279501.jpg

gallery_10136_2514_585721.jpg

Hot and Cold Tea

A very intriguing concept that worked well. If you look closely, there's a fine line cutting through the middle of the tea. As you drink the tea (which is slightly thickened), you get the sensation of cool and warm teas commingling in your mouth.

gallery_10136_2514_461044.jpg

Violet Tarts and Chocolates

Chocolates were fine, the tarts were sweet, sticky and tasty.

gallery_10136_2514_590941.jpg

Edited by mukki (log)