• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Fat Duck 2005

I had lunch at the Fat Duck last I week and was a bit disappointed. I was asked when I booked if I wanted the tasting menu – which I didn’t as there were a few a la carte that I wanted to try – but in a moment of pure greediness I said yes having enjoyed last years so much.

Sadly the tasting menu is virtually the same – the only difference was that the sweetbread cooked in hay had been replaced by pigeon. Arguably better, definitely more complex. The one dish that did stand out as being superb was the salmon in liquorice – stunning last year, equally so this year. The roast foie gras and sardines on toast dishes seem to have undergone significant shrinkage – both very good but you need more that a mouthful or two to really enjoy. Additionally, I asked for an extra starter of cauliflower risotto – it was certainly innovative (cauliflower & coco) but tiny in size – v poor show for £17.

The MD did come & talk at the end to say what a hectic year they had acquiring a lab for HB and the pub next door. They were working on new dishes but didn’t want to introduce anything that would upset smooth running of the duck. The new menus would appear soonish (summer?). Some of the new dishes would be from recipes 200-300 years old (dormouse satay anyone?). I wasn’t sure if this was aimed at the FD or the new place.

I was just worried that they were gambling with the FD too much – great set of dishes but can’t find better alternatives. The nitro dish is great first time – but once you know what’s coming – less so. Also the beet & orange gels – when you in the know, much less interesting.

Anyone else feel that they really need to move on in case they get stuck in a rut/ recipes become tired? I’d really like to visit more often but not until the menu’s had an overall.

Anyone else feel that they really need to move on in case they get stuck in a rut/ recipes become tired?  I’d really like to visit more often but not until the menu’s had an overall.

I think this is the major gripe with the place, i think a genuine 3 star should change its menu more frequently, it must be over three years since i went and i recognise most of the dishes still.

the salmon and liquorice looked good on tv the other week but wild horses couldn't drag me to eat another bite of cauliflower and cocoa -yuck.

i can't believe they have that many regulars on that basis, as you say the shock is in the new and unexpected.

cheers

gary

you don't win friends with salad

I had lunch at the Fat Duck last I week and was a bit disappointed.  I was asked when I booked if I wanted the tasting menu – which I didn’t as there were a few a la carte that I wanted to try – but in a moment of pure greediness I said yes having enjoyed last years so much.

Does anyone know if they have been asking about the tasting menu when you book for long? I don't recall that we have ever been asked this when booking. And what happens if you change your mind in the days/weeks between making your booking and the actual visit?

Does anyone know if they have been asking about the tasting menu when you book for long? I don't recall that we have ever been asked this when booking. And what happens if you change your mind in the days/weeks between making your booking and the actual visit?

it was a last minute thing (day before) - maybe that's why

needed a lift to get me through january & leeds/anthony's was too far!

• 2 weeks later...
The Fat Duck has been awarded 19 out of 20 by Gault Millau. Full story at caterer-online.com.

That's just plain hilarious. But then again, GM has praised a restaurant in France (2 years running) for it's stunning terrace.( The restaurant in question does not have a terrace :laugh: . and has told GM twice of such fact) I also find it highly amusing that Tom Aitkens gets 18.

Well, discussions are always possible on the scores and are always personal.

My last meal at Sketch, I gave it 17/20 (Gagnaire in Paris I have given a few times 19.5/20); the last at Gordon Ramsay RHR got 18/20 of me. As said, all personal, of course!

• 1 month later...

Only if he's using it to sell his restaurant, or as a container in which to marinate his Rabbit - something for which hat's are remarkably useful, imparting a certain je ne sais chapeau quoi.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Only if he's using it to sell his restaurant, or as a container in which to marinate his Rabbit - something for which hat's are remarkably useful, imparting a certain je ne sais chapeau quoi.

Moby, is that a rogue apostrophe I see? :)

I have not eaten at the Fat Duck, though my head chef has... came back with a silly grin on his face, if that's a positive indication...

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

This is major news in Bray and probably needed 3 meetings of the Parish Council to get the go-ahead for a change of sign. A menu change would need far more and would then meet several objections, not least from the member who complained about not being able to get a pint and some crisps like he could in the days of the Ringers.

Moby, is that a rogue apostrophe I see? :)

I have not eaten at the Fat Duck, though my head chef has... came back with a silly grin on his face, if that's a positive indication...

That wasn't a grin. It was the grimace left over from when he got the bill. :laugh:

I thought the Fat Duck is the most inexpensive 3 star in Europe (yes yes Dirk - for what that's worth).

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

I thought the Fat Duck is the most inexpensive 3 star in Europe (yes yes Dirk - for what that's worth).

What's this supposed to mean?

Anyway, at £97.50 (just gone up) the tasting menu would probably be one of the cheapest in France, but it's the most expensive in the UK, and I think you'll find that the Spanish three stars are also significantly cheaper for both food and wine, with the possible exception of el Bulli.

Which is to not to say that all three star restaurants aren't seriously expensive.

Sorry - wasn't being antagonistic, just referencing the other thread. Does anyone know what the Ramsay tasting menu is these days? I thought the FD used to be cheaper.

Flickr Food

Some interesting pics there,

Anyone no who the chef is/was?

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

• 1 month later...