• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montmartre

Siharris28

Hi all,

I have trawled through many of the threads on here, but cannot quite work out which would be the best inexpensive (say €120 for two inc. booze) place to eat in Montmartre (or adjoining arrondissement) when my wife and I head to Paris for a few days in July.

Probably going to La Grande Cascade and Astier for the other two days we are over, but would like to stay near the hotel one night.

Any recs gratefully received.

Thanks,

Simon.

Hi all,

I have trawled through many of the threads on here, but cannot quite work out which would be the best inexpensive (say €120 for two inc. booze) place to eat in Montmartre (or adjoining arrondissement) when my wife and I head to Paris for a few days in July.

Probably going to La Grande Cascade and Astier for the other two days we are over, but would like to stay near the hotel one night.

Any recs gratefully received.

Thanks,

Simon.

Is Mon Oncle any good?

I have this problem too. (I lived in the 18th)

The ones I tried and they are good:

La Table d'Eugene (but it's at the foot of Montmartre)

Guilo-Guilo (Japanese)

Here is the list I heard they are good, but didn't test it myself yet

La Famille

Mon Oncle

Cottage Marcadet

16 Tholozé

L'Oxalis

Le Winch

Marguerite

Le Square

Edited by naf (log)

I have this problem too. (I lived in the 18th)

The ones I tried and they are good:

La Table d'Eugene (but it's at the foot of Montmartre)

Guilo-Guilo (Japanese)

I will second these. La Table d'Eugene was outstanding and worth a trip, so I would recommend it without hesitation.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

• 2 weeks later...

A friend who lived in Montmartre took me to la Mascotte on rue des Abesses last winter. We had a lovely meal at far less than your budget, including Gillardeau oysters. You won't be there in the right season for oysters, unfortunately.

It is a real local hangout, especially where you sit out front with a drink before or or after your meal inside.

Well, i guess not technically on Montmartre, a couple of cheap and cheerfuls that I really like in the area are Bar des Rose (which I've posted on seperately) for tapas or a restaurant that came off John T's blog, Cul de Poule. While I love la Famille for a visit to Hussein the fab bartender, I have not eaten there. The place is always packed - but I've heard mixed reviews on the dining experience - not bad reviews, just ranging from "okay" to "great!"

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

My take is as follows (I too live there/here):

La Table d'Eugene spectacular

Guilo-Guilo too much of a much

La Famille ditto

Cottage Marcadet OK

16 Tholozé Quite OK

L'Oxalis A friend reported a bad one after I touted it.

Le Winch My last meal was awful

Le Square did not like

Also to be considered Miroir, Le Cafe qui Parle + Bistrot Poulbot

But definately to avoid:

Chamarre Montmartre, Moulin de la Galette

And kinda kicky: Le Truc + 2 Pieces Cuisine.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 2 months later...

Hello all. Got back from Paris last week, had a great time, really loved the Abbesses area. Thought I would get a few thoughts down on the food establishments visited - thanks for all the suggestions. Not all Montmartre-related but a hell of a lot easier to put this all in one place!

L'Ebauchoir - Bastille - Very Good

Thought this was a great bistrot - packed out, we were lucky to get a table, nice buzzy atmosphere. Perfectly pleasant terrine to start with, then I had an absolutely delicious grilled swordfish with citrus fruit, perfectly charred on the grill but meltingly tender within. The better half had a scorpion fish which was fine but didn't match the l'espadon. Perfunctory millefeulles for me (personally prefer the genuine many layered article over the thick slabs which seem to be more commonplace now) and something fruity for the lady. A tangy bottle of Sancerre and the meal came in at €100. Really good would definitely return.

Le Cafe Qui Parle - Montmartre - Disappointing

Bit gutted about this, menu looked good, place was busy, nice vibe, but food really wasn't anything special. My wife had the vegetables with black olive gazpacho to start - vegetables were flavourless and no depth to the accompanying gazpach which was rather thin. I had marinated salmon (this seemed to be on almost every menu we saw in Paris) which was very good although a bit samey after a while.

I then had a couple of fairly decent slices of duck, although the celery concoction upon which they rested was interesting but not particularly satisfying after a while. The other half had a chicken salad special which was probably more of a lunch dish and not a great choice but had another dose of the same relatively unflavourful vegetables and was all fairly bland. Desserts weren't bad and had a nice, reasonable Alsace Pinot Noir, came to about €90. Wouldn't go back there based on that experience.

La Grande Cascade - Bois de Boulogne - Excellent

Thought we should have some kind of Michelin experience so came here on a sunny lunchtime. Was even more formal than expected but the Penguined-up waiters didn't bat an eyelid at my jeans. Lovely setting and a really nice vibe.

Aperitif trolley came round and couldn't resist a couple of glasses of Ayala - €24 per glass but was very pleasing. We went for the menu du marche, which looked like good value at €85 per head including two glasses of wine each.

I kicked off with plump langoustines en croute, with guacamole and assorted accoutriments. The langoustines were superb although thought the guacamole could have had more of a kick to it. My other half went for marinated salmon on a disc of watermelon which was perfect for the summers day.

I then went for veal kidneys - wouldn't normally go for this, but enjoyed it - rich, earthy and beatifully cooked, served with a delightfully crisp and light vegetable rosti. My wife selecetd a white fish dish (pollack I believe) which was very pleasant but nothing groundbreaking.

I finished up with sables de Breton with strawberries, whilst my wife's chocolate liegois was encroaching upon best ever dessert territory apparently.

Really enjoyed this place, great terrace, lovely food and pretty good value. The menu du marche reminded me a little of the lunch deal at Le Gavroche - have to say Gavroche edged this for quality and better wine there as well - also cheaper at £48 so perhaps highlights the price differential between Paris and London (noting also that Gavroche is 2* compared to 1* at Grande Cascade).

Les Caves des Abbesses - Montmartre - Great

Great find this - didn't want a full meal after the Grande Cascade blowout, found a small dining room at the back of this unpreposessing wine merchant on Rue des Abbesses. A fantastic platter of charcuterie and cheese to share for €12, loads of bread and a great wine selection (unsurprisingly) to boot. Great atmosphere as well, seemed to be more of a locals hangout.

L'As du Falafel - Marais - Did as described on the tin

Simple - very pleasing falafel, well served, did the lunch job very well.

La Table d'Eugene - Montmartre - Outstanding

Adored this place - worthy of the hype. Bit concerned when we were the only two in there at 8pm - didn't realise les parisiens ate so late, more in line with expectations for the Spanish. Filled up by 9pm.

A Tandoori prawn starter for my good self - great prawns and very tasty, although thought the tandoori baste could have been more at one with the crustaceans. Bayonne ham for my partner in crime, served with aubergine caviar on a parmesan biscuit. Pronounced as excellent.

My wife loved the veal main course (supplement required) served ambitiously with various mounds of foam and precisely cooked vegetables. I also was well pleased with my slow cooked lamb, cooked for seven hours in a small pot (not le creuset surprisingly) - huge flavours, delectable.

My better half was slightly disappointed with the cherry pannacotta dessert, chiefly due to the lack of contrast between the aforementioned cerises and sweet cooked cream. My chocolate mousse was very good but not up to the high standards of the other two courses.

Loved the restaurant, thought the food was Michelin * territory, would go back in a flash and travel across Paris if necessary. Interesting, out-of-the-way area as well. Not many tourists knocking about.

Frankly, we ate very well in Paris. I am now on a regime to try and rein the flab back in. Thanks for all the recommendations, looking forward to a return sometime soon!