• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade Pop-Tarts

gfron1

I definitely will. I just had a big special event (think 150 gallons of gumbo and 75 pounds of gator on a stick). I have a respite now til June 6th so I'll be playing again. I can tell you that the one you saw was Pierre Herme's Neysa's tart dough with Faugier spread in it. It was delish but the dough wasn't the right texture. I'm going to go back to my basic one and see if I can't make it work as chocolate.

Pop-Tart Dough

13 oz Unsalted Butter at room temp

1/3 C. & 1 T. (110 g) Milk at room temp

1 Yolk at room temp

1 t. (6 g)Sugar

1 t. (6 g) Salt

3 1/2 C. (645 g) AP Flour

In food processor, combine butter, milk, yolk, sugar and salt and pulse until roughly blended.  Add the flour and pulse until it just starts to come together.    Form into a disc and wrap in saran wrap, chill at least 3 hours.

Question for you about your flour measurement - 3.5 cups of flour was way less than 645 g for me - it took me about 4.5 cups to reach 645 g. So then I wasn't sure which way to lean, so at the last minute I pulled out a half cup or so of the flour. Should I have gone with the full 645 g? I haven't eaten a fully finished pop tart yet, but when I ate the little turnover I made from the scraps, it seemed like the crust was perhaps overly tender - is that because of not enough flour?

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I just checked and my 3 1/2 C equals 625 g, so off but no so far off - definitely not 4 1/2 C. Also, I double checked my notes and for some odd reason I used measure as my standard on this and then added weights...not sure what that was all about.

I'm going to re-type the ingredients here since there was the format glitch in the original post - use this list:

3 Sticks plus 2 T of unsalted butter

1/3 C. plus 1 T milk at room temp

1 L Egg yolk at room temp

1 t. Sugar

1 t. Salt

3 1/2 C. AP Flour

And now I really would like someone to check my recipe to see if it works. I haven't heard any reports back. I'll make a batch as well filled with my favorite French fig preserves and 100% chocolate.

I just checked and my 3 1/2 C equals 625 g, so off but no so far off - definitely not 4 1/2 C.  Also, I double checked my notes and for some odd reason I used measure as my standard on this and then added weights...not sure what that was all about.

I'm going to re-type the ingredients here since there was the format glitch in the original post - use this list:

3 Sticks plus 2 T of unsalted butter

1/3 C. plus 1 T milk at room temp

1 L Egg yolk at room temp

1 t. Sugar

1 t. Salt

3 1/2 C. AP Flour

And now I really would like someone to check my recipe to see if it works.  I haven't heard any reports back.  I'll make a batch as well filled with my favorite French fig preserves and 100% chocolate.

The recipe definitely works! The little turnover I had last night was great, and I'm looking forward to sharing the rest with friends tonight at my impromptu "pop tart party." Just not sure if the ultra-tender crust was a goal or a mistake I made. And the one I had last night was still warm anyway, so the crust may have set up a bit more since then.

Here's mine, in progress, and then finished.

gallery_7436_3666_71878.jpg

gallery_7436_3666_66449.jpg

The red sprinkled ones have strawberry jam, the multi color ones are blueberry jam, and the chocolate ones have a cacao cream inside - kind of like nutella, but more chocolatey and less hazelnuty. The frosting for the chocolate one is just the same powdered sugar frosting with some cocoa added.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

Tammy - did you do weight or measure. I'm screaming at the measuring cup manufacturers right now. I just measured and then weighed with one of my cups and ended up at 580 g, then I remeasured in different cups and got 550, which are both different than my first one at 625 - grrrrr!

I'm assuming you did 3 1/2 C and that's my final answer because I'll have to trust my original notes that say I measured the flour.

Tammy - did you do weight or measure.  I'm screaming at the measuring cup manufacturers right now.  I just measured and then weighed with one of my cups and ended up at 580 g, then I remeasured in different cups and got 550, which are both different than my first one at 625 - grrrrr!

I'm assuming you did 3 1/2 C and that's my final answer because I'll have to trust my original notes that say I measured the flour.

I can't be much help, I'm afraid. I decided halfway through measuring to use weight instead, and then just scooped kind of randomly until I got up to 645 grams. But that took about 4.5 not at all carefully measured cups of flour, so then I just scooped out some flour randomly. I think I weighed it again after that and IIRC was at about 560?

There's so much room for inaccuracies in flour - the measuring cup difference, how densely the flour is packed - which is why I figured I'd best go for weight. The good news is that the recipe seems to be really flexible and doesn't much care...

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

I'm eating my afternoon pop-tart right now. This morning I measured out the 3 1/2 C, unsifted and it was slightly wet, but I forged ahead. The end result is perfect. Flavors - French Fig preserves with 100% Claudio Corallo chocolate, and also Nutella with piñon. Both are just right.

I used your exact recipe but I don't weigh, I measure. The dough was very tender. I struggled with the rolling because I didn't let it warm up enough, but learned for my next batch and didn't fight with it. I made strawberry filled with peanut butter glaze and almond-cinnamon with the peanut butter glaze and they.were.GREAT!

I think the recipe works fine. Thanks for starting the thread and providing the recipe.

Ahh I can't believe I missed this post! I have some catching up to do. But first of all thank you Rob for sharing this fun and funky thread! I specially enjoyed the article about the flaming pop tarts! Hilarious!

I love how creative minds get together in this forum and create so many wonderful and fun things. I am at work right now and reading all this post make me want to run home and start making some crazy Rob tarts!

Oh my I have a tin of 100% Italian hazelnut paste, making chocolate and hazelnut tart yummy! I am assuming I would use the same recipe and add cocoa powder and adjust with the flour amount right? I might try this weekend.

Thank you this is fun!

Vanessa

More pop tart pics:

First, the "money" shot on the ones I posted earlier. This one is blueberry:gallery_7436_3666_56801.jpg

At my impromptu pop tart party last night, we made one mini pop tart each of a bunch of different flavors, some sweet, some savory. So we'd be able to tell them apart after we baked them, we docked the dough with a letter:

gallery_7436_3666_2977.jpg

The "P" has pesto and parmesan, and the "M" has mango chutney. We also made one with sundried tomato pesto and parmesan. I haven't tasted any of the savory ones yet. But we thought olive tapenade would a good filling - just didn't have any.

When I frosted the sweet ones this morning, I colored the frosting so we'd be able to tell the difference later. It's like a rainbow of fruit flavors!

gallery_7436_3666_69381.jpg

gallery_7436_3666_9101.jpg

White frosting is caramel (that one leaked like crazy!), yellow is apricot, pink is raspberry, red is thimbleberry, and purple is blackberry (all from random half jars of preserves and jelly and stuff in my fridge).

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40