• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help! My cast iron Dutch oven is cracked!

RunBe4UFly

No, there is no way to save the pot. I even doubt it would be possible to get a free replacement under Le Creuset's lifetime warranty, although it may be worth a try.

--

It's not going to help, I'm afraid. Think about it: What are you going to do? Melt the iron back together? Using what? And at what expense? And what would that do to the rest of the pot?

--

What do you figure it will cost to get a strong, sanitary, food-safe weld on that thing? More than the cost of a new one, I'm guessing. And what do you figure heating it up to welding temperature will do to the rest of it -- specifically, that fancy enamel coating that's the whole reason you paid that much for it.

--

I wouldn't know how to save it. But if you decide to replace it, it's a Le Creuset, and you have patience you can often find great deals at Marshalls and Tuesday Morning.

I couldn't go a week without mine, but I have 3 of them so I should be ok if I drop one.

yeah, that really sucks, especially in this economy...

You are so right and to make it worse - the price of scrape iron is way, way down.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Is this raw iron or coated? If it's raw arc welding it may be a solution, high heat, quick weld, less tempering of the material. Got noting to lose do you?

"I drink to make other people interesting".

To quote Dick:

"Cast iron cannot be welded. There are metal stiching techniques for plate cast iron surfaces but these are only used on large expensive components like Emergency Diesel Generators that must be repaired in place.-Dick"

The person who taught me to weld years ago would chuckle at this statement, since he specialized in weld-repair of cracked engine blocks and heads (often used in race vehicles). Granted, it's an involved process requiring preheating and special equipment, but it's done every day. I wouldn't spend the time or money to have a mere pot repaired, especially since the enamel would be destroyed, as the other people noted.

Ray

Thanks all for the input. I think I am going to glue it and use it as decoration... now where do I find the glue...

A good all-purpose repair adhesive for pottery, glass, metal, etc. is Duco Cement. Comes in a green & yellow tube, sold at the hardware store. I like it b/c it holds tight, but isn't so permanent as to ruin whatever you've glued (good for repairs on decorative fine china).

Since spring is here I think you should just put a nice plant of herbs for the kitchen in the pot! That way you can still enjoy it in your kitchen and it still provides some usefulness!

Sorry about the loss of your favourite pot, but now you have a justified expense to go shopping!! Time to check out yard sales too!

Since spring is here I think you should just put a nice plant of herbs for the kitchen in the pot!  That way you can still enjoy it in your kitchen and it still provides some usefulness!

That's exactely what I am thinking, but the pot doesn't have a hole on the bottom to drain the water. Will it be a problem?

Since spring is here I think you should just put a nice plant of herbs for the kitchen in the pot!  That way you can still enjoy it in your kitchen and it still provides some usefulness!

That's exactely what I am thinking, but the pot doesn't have a hole on the bottom to drain the water. Will it be a problem?

Nothing a drill bit can't take care of...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I was thinking of putting a pot of herbs into the cast iron pot. Perhaps put some small stones on the bottom so the pot is not sitting in water and place another pot (with a drainage hole already) within.

I wonder if you drill into the cast iron if you will spider or crack the pot even more? Since it is broken already, it is up to you!

Many years ago managed to burn and chip the enamal on an oven [ ~8"] from LC.

I was given a phone # by a local kitchen merchant to call for help. That Number today is 1.877.273.8738 or perhaps the web site www.lecreuset.com/usa/home.com { I can't read the last of that so maybe home is hone, I ain't sure}.

Back then they gave me a choice of sending the oven back and paying what was essentially 1/2 price for a replacement or a repair. Then they offered the same deal without shipping back the old stuff, for the same price. Guess what I took.

Good Luck!

Robert

Seattle

I was thinking of putting a pot of herbs into the cast iron pot.  Perhaps put some small stones on the bottom so the pot is not sitting in water and place another pot (with a drainage hole already) within.

I wonder if you drill into the cast iron if you will spider or crack the pot even more? Since it is broken already, it is up to you!

Cracking shouldn't be a problem if you drill cast iron. It may be a little difficult to get through the enamel surface (try grinding it away if you have a problem) but drilling the actual cast iron should be very easy.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.