• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tonka Bean Essence & Sumac Powder Uses

Markian

Picked up some tonka bean aroma/essence as well as some sumac powder and well...besides infusing panna cotta or creme brulee with the tonka bean, what else can I do with these 2 ingredients? Dessert, appetizer and main course dish ideas would all be welcome!

I'd rather live in a world without truffles than in a world without onions.

You can make chocolate bonbons.

Could you say where you got your Tonka bean essence? Tonka beans are problematic in the U.S.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

You can make chocolate bonbons.

Could you say where you got your Tonka bean essence?  Tonka beans are problematic in the U.S.

I got it from a restaurant fine food supplier called Marche Transatlantique...out of Montreal.

I'd rather live in a world without truffles than in a world without onions.

I try to use Tonka beans anywhere I might use vanilla. A little tonka cream sauce on lobster is good.

I use sumac in fattouche salad and with chicken.

I buy my tonka at Anatol (Montreal), they might ship-they do package some of their own things.