• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grantham and thereabouts

Mrs J and I have a reservation at Harry's Place in July.

Planning to make a weekend of it and need somewhere good to eat on the Friday night.

Some light research here and elsewhere does little to alter my impression that the area is only lightly populated with decent establishments. I've seen some indication that a place in Bottesford called Paul's is quite good but I am very suspicious of the menu. Far too "eclectic", or crap 80's style fusion, to my eye.

Anybody care to suggest somewhere within reasonable cab range?

I actually started my cooking life off in Bottesford many moons ago, at the very restaurant, now know as Pauls!! I wouldn't make a special trip to go there now.

You will find the area very light on the ground as far as good eating goes. There is Hambleton hall which is in Rutland but you will need deep pockets. That said no different from the prices Harrys charge.

As for Olive Branch, yeah its got a michelin star etc but again nothing to write home about. When compared to the likes of the Star at Harome, no comparison. That no good to you I know, its miles away from where you are going!!

Anyway, hope you enjoy Harrys. Been a few times in the past.

I actually started my cooking life off in Bottesford many moons ago, at the very restaurant, now know as Pauls!! I wouldn't make a special trip to go there now.

Had Mrs W's grandfather's wake at Paul's a couple of years ago. Bottesford is worth visiting for (alongside one of the best churches in the country) its butchers though. Not sure if they still are allowed to slaughter out the back, but the meat, so I'm told, is exceptional

Grantham's not THAT far from Sat Bain's surely?

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

Had Mrs W's grandfather's wake at Paul's a couple of years ago. Bottesford is worth visiting for (alongside one of the best churches in the country) its butchers though. Not sure if they still are allowed to slaughter out the back, but the meat, so I'm told, is exceptional

Grantham's not THAT far from Sat Bain's surely?

Good point Bertie, certainly driveable.

I've always enjoyed the Olive Branch, been there a couple of times whilst passing through Clipsham. You wouldn't compare it to Sat Bains, but it's still very very good imo.

Hambleton Hall should also be a consideration, particularly because of the beautiful terrace overlooking Rutland Water where one can have aperitif or digestif in summer. Went there last week for a Sunday lunch, salmon/caviar starter, local beef and chocolate tart all brilliantly executed. Good wine selection, very old school atmosphere, high prices (as if they were in the middle of London, they put 12.5% service on everything, our bill came to almost 300 pounds for two).

Alex, I would concur with ameiden. Hambleton Hall is a beautiful place and in July one hopes you would be able sit outside on the terrace for an aperitif. We have a had a few stays there, but sadly not for a few years now. Had the first proper night of our honeymoon here and what a perfect choice it was to relax and unwind.

It's certainly doable by cab, but probably best to get a price for the journey from a local cab firm. Unless of course you used to be in Blur and are loaded.

Thanks chaps.

Would like to try Sat Bains' place but whilst its easily driveable, there is too much potential for me to disagree with the constabulary on appropriate blood/alcohol ratios. Last train from Nottingham is far too early.

Other suggestions seem to be outside my idea of reasonable cab range.

Bapi - I'm merely a contributor to that ordinary bassist's wealth from buying a few records when his band were good. My nom de bandwidth is in homage to a brilliant footballer of yesteryear. Probably the best inside left ever - the bassist would have to improve to reach the cube root of his eponym's talent.

Thanks chaps.

Would like to try Sat Bains' place but whilst its easily driveable, there is too much potential for me to disagree with the constabulary on appropriate blood/alcohol ratios. Last train from Nottingham is far too early.

Other suggestions seem to be outside my idea of reasonable cab range.

Bapi - I'm merely a contributor to that ordinary bassist's wealth from buying a few records when his band were good. My nom de bandwidth is in homage to a brilliant footballer of yesteryear. Probably the best inside left ever - the bassist would have to improve to reach the cube root of his eponym's talent.

... and possibly said footballer may have had better knowledge of food as well.