• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying scallops from divers

Here in Norway we have the most incredible scallops, right on our doorstep. But for a recreational diver to be able to pick a few and sell them, he needs pay around $1000 for testing. And as far as I know, they never find anything dangerous in them. Still, some restaurants buy directly, but they are risking their serving liscence. This system makes fresh scallops incredibly expensive, each costing $5-6. Before tax. So, what are the rules where you work? I am probalby going to use my food column in the local newspaper for this issue.

Here in the Gulf of Maine one needs to purchase either a commercial or recreational license to harvest scallops "by hand" - which means the use of SCUBA systems and manual labor - versus "by drag" which deploy an underwater device to collect the animal in large quantities.

There are no tests beyond a thoughtful sniff at the dock but shellfish harvesting areas are constantly monitored for toxic bacteria and/or pollutants owing to excessive run-off after rainy periods, or potentially dangerous industrial mishaps. Daily reports are broadcast on marine-band radio and posted on State DMR websites.

Also, because the State government has determined that owing to higher perishability rates, whole scallops are not permitted to be landed save for the abductor muscle - the most common part used on the market and also, for some reason, the part of the scallop with a comfortably long shelf-life. So harvesters - by any means - must process (shuck) their harvest before reaching port or risk the seizure of all harvesting assets (like your boat).

As a result, no scallop roe survives to make it to restaurant kitchens and instead is thrown with the shells over the side where a cloud of sea gulls await. Vessels tie up with gallon freezer bags full of scallop meats destined for market.

Personally, I hold a recreational license to harvest scallops "by hand" (US$50) which permits me to gather enough scallops to yield two quarts of scallop meats per day - enough for a good party.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Slightly off topic, but when I was working in Japan, we would use that "skirt " around the scallop, marinate and serve. Nothing was wasted.

I've had whole scallops in Hong Kong but my mother told me to not eat this one part that was akin to the part that you remove from shrimp when you devein them (the digestive tract?).

Is there any part of the scallop one should throw away?

now thats what Im talking about. I hope I can start a "Scallopgate" with my article ;)

Agreed. That "test" sounds outrageous and a market-killer. Why should a sovereign nation not patrol it's waters for safety's sake, for both military and commercial reasons? It sounds like they are putting the responsibility - health and financial - on the diver's shoulders instead.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Are there any similar issues where the health department lays down rules that stop you from getting a specific item at a reasonable price? wild mushrooms? game?

I dont believe you can sell actual Game...as in look what my brother shot in the forest. Game animals like deer and birds are now raised for meat for sale.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Are there any similar issues where the health department lays down rules that stop you from getting a specific item at a reasonable price? wild mushrooms? game?

I dont believe you can sell actual Game...as in look what my brother shot in the forest. Game animals like deer and birds are now raised for meat for sale.

tracey

I think in most cases thats right. Here in Norway, I think you can sell the game you shoot, if you get it certified by a vetrinarian. Or something like that.