• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tea Tasting Cups?

onocoffee

Hoping that someone here can direct me.

I was visiting a tea factory once and in their lab/tasting room they had these very specialized cups. The cups were porcelain with lids but had comb-like tines on the rim - allowing one to steep the tea then pour it out using the lid and the tines to strain the leaves from the liquid.

I'd like to order a bunch for myself but don't know how or where to source them. Any leads?

Thanks!

Yes, these are specialized tasting cups rather than regular brewing cups.

Try Yunnan Sourcing on eBay. Scott usually carries them.

In the US, Guang at Hou de also usually has them.

If you don't find it on their sites, email them. It's a standard item for both of them.

Here's a link to the competition style brewing set at Yunnan Sourcing. I plan get at least three of them next time I order. In order to evaluate several similar teas.

How do you plan to use them?

Anyone else use these or similar brewing sets?

Glad to help.

Yes he is. The only drawback is the long wait for them to get here, unless you pay through the nose for faster EMS shipping which takes a speedy week or two. My orders out of China by SAL take three to four weeks, though it can go five or six. I'm willing to be patient and save.

If you're in a really big hurry and expense is not that important, email Guang at Hou de and ask, even though they do not show it on their site. I have had the impression his are better quality porcelain and more expensive, but he is in the US and usually ships Priority Mail for free.

• 4 months later...

Hoping that someone here can direct me.

I was visiting a tea factory once and in their lab/tasting room they had these very specialized cups. The cups were porcelain with lids but had comb-like tines on the rim - allowing one to steep the tea then pour it out using the lid and the tines to strain the leaves from the liquid.

I'd like to order a bunch for myself but don't know how or where to source them. Any leads?

Thanks!

Please do tell what you ended up getting, from which merchant and how you like them.